Bezzera Strega pump issue

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dan77

#1: Post by dan77 »

Hi, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. Lots of great info on this site.

I've been having intermittent issues with my Strega where it would stop engaging the pump and hum instead. The orange and green lights come on so it isn't the tank wiring issue. When I empty the tank the orange light goes off but rather than fill the tank, it clicks over but hums only.

After a few days of not using it would all of a sudden come good for months. Now it is doing this more frequently and I cannot work out what it is. Intermittent sucks because I try to get it fixed by a pro and of course as soon as it hits their desk it comes good so no fault found but my pocket is lighter.

I've had a look and I can see the the tank is potentially leaking or had leaks because the signs are there but no dampness.

I've noticed that the capacitors/resistors have some blackness which suggests that smoke might have come out. The wiring connected from the pump looks to have slight blackness too but maybe it is from being in a hot environment?

Here are some pics of what I could see. I'm thinking possible tank, pump and capacitor replacement but hope someone has a magic fix that won't be so dramatic.

Any help would be appreciated.

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

There is a recent thread with the same issue. First thing I would do is check for power at the pump. Pull the lever and put a multimeter on the pump connections. If it has power then just replace the pump.
LMWDP #353

dan77 (original poster)

#3: Post by dan77 (original poster) »

Many thanks. Pump replaced, tank filled and pulled an empty shot and pop and the house safety switch kicked in.

Looks like the black valve on top is leaking and the pump being straight under might have had water leak into it.

One last thing, I replaced the 240V with a 230V as everywhere I read it looked like it would be ok. That shouldn't have anything to do with it going pop? It engaged the pump and did the full tank filled up and even engaged for a second when I pulled the leaver.

The little capacitor at the pump looks like the smoke has come out. Couldn't catch the smoke :(

*sigh* - stuck with pour over and cold drip for a little longer

CoffeeCrawler

#4: Post by CoffeeCrawler »

Go to any electronics part supplier with the dead capacitor and they'll hook you up. Looks like 0.22 uF x 250 vac + 100R safety capacitor. Get a few spares in case the safety issue still persists.

dan77 (original poster)

#5: Post by dan77 (original poster) »

The replacement capacitor has fixed the issue and I am back to having amazing coffee.

The original pump issue symptoms -

1. slight delay in engaging when level pulled
2. intermittent non- engaging and just humming instead
3. in the final days the milk foam had large bubbles on top <- I had no issues prior

I notice that the valve inside leaks slightly once it has heated, is that normal or is that what it's supposed to do? <- should it be replaced?