Bezzera Strega - new spring lever for home use

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Bluecold

#1: Post by Bluecold »

http://www.bezzera.it/prodotti.php?lang ... &prodid=50
Bezzera is hearing you.

Pretty fun machine. It's a HX lever which is filled by a vibration pump from a tank. It really does look as if they took one of their Mitica E61 boxes and bolted on a proper (hehe) group and added electric heating, probably because the group is so large that thermosyphon heating from such a small boiler wouldn't be sufficient for home use.

I must say, Bez's timing is pretty good.

Via kaffeenetz via thuisbarista.nl

...split from Moving Beyond Cremina Craze, Commercial Lever? by moderator...
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Junior
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Junior »

That's a fascinating product. I assume the vibe pump is added so they can base it off a more typical hx design? With the 2006AL, that's two of the more interesting new 110v lever designs in the last few years.
Michael

Javier

#3: Post by Javier »

Bluecold wrote:http://www.bezzera.it/prodotti.php?lang ... &prodid=50
Bezzera is hearing you.
<image>
Pretty fun machine. It's a HX lever which is filled by a vibration pump from a tank. It really does look as if they took one of their Mitica E61 boxes and bolted on a proper (hehe) group and added electric heating, probably because the group is so large that thermosyphon heating from such a small boiler wouldn't be sufficient for home use.

I must say, Bez's timing is pretty good.

Via kaffeenetz via thuisbarista.nl
That is an attractive machine! Wonder if it will reach North America (since it is listed as 220v AND 110V models).
LMWDP #115

michaelbenis

#4: Post by michaelbenis »

Anyone know more about this? The Bezzera blurb says it has two springs... Why? The vibe pump makes sense as a means of using an HX on a tank machine (not plumbed in and therefore negligible if any water pressure otherwise), and I assume the vibe pump just supplies a gentle preinfusion pressure... but confirmation would be nice...
LMWDP No. 237

Bluecold (original poster)

#5: Post by Bluecold (original poster) »

It probably means a double spring configuration like the La Cimbali levers. Because y'know, "more is better".
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Junior
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Junior »

I don't see a switch for the vibe pump, so I would guess by the description that it is activated by opening the path with the lever. The vibe would have to be providing very low pressure if it is only doing preinfusion (and moving the water from tank through HX) duties. I wonder if that is regulated by an opv or some other setup since vibe pumps aren't terribly adjustable on their own. The rough description also implies a direct plumbing option which should allow for line pressure rather than vibe, but it appears that is not done here.

The electric heating on the group is logical, but again, seems to have no user accessible controls.

Why must they torture with vague descriptions? Obviously this is aimed at the home market with that size boiler and the N. America market with a 110v option, but then so is the Mitica which this is based on, and I don't see it advertised anywhere.
Michael

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Jim Piccinich of 1st-Line Equipment is a Bezzera importer and one of our respected vendors. I'll drop him a line and invite him to weigh in on this interesting new Bezzera machine. It isn't listed on his site.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

peacecup

#8: Post by peacecup »

Its all great except for the vibe pump. Kinda beats to purpose. I wonder if it could fed with line pressure?

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

peacecup

#9: Post by peacecup »

This is the crux of the biscuit, the raison d'être of the entire lever forum:
two springs that guarantee a steady supply and the best oil extraction from the ground coffee.
Even extraction via an even force applied by the piston. all of the dispersion blocks on the planet can't do it as well.

The Strega is getting close to my size lever machine.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Junior
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Junior »

There is a direct connect (and drain) option implied which I would expect provides enough for a solenoid bypass rather than a pump to be used, but it isnt described as such. I'd rather see it offered as a vibe/tank and direct/novibe options, but I have to think this is a very narrow niche market to begin with and offering many options would further fragment production. Despite the clamor for such a product from this crowd.

The use of an HX means flushing. Flushing with a lever controlled vibe pump seems like a noisy kludge compared to using line pressure.
Michael