Bezzera Strega - new spring lever for home use - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
1st-line
Sponsor

#11: Post by 1st-line »

drgary wrote:Jim Piccinich of 1st-Line Equipment is a Bezzera importer and one of our respected vendors. I'll drop him a line and invite him to weigh in on this interesting new Bezzera machine. It isn't listed on his site.
Gary,

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, I do not have any additional details to report. By design, I am not crazy of the vibe pump pushing water into grouphead. I would rather prefer steam pressure to perform the pre-infusion. I am hoping

a) to go to Milan this October to investigate this machine further, or
b) get a sample if I do not go.

For the near term future, 1st-line will not be bringing these in until we can get a better grasp on the pump and test the machine.

Jim
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

looseantz

#12: Post by looseantz »

this new machine is currently being discussed at kaffee-netz.de.

you can find more detailed info on bezzera.it.

according to one of the sellers it will arrive within the next month and cost about €1.800,-.

looseantz
LMWDP #283

another_jim
Team HB

#13: Post by another_jim »

It's a nice update on the BZ2006. It definitely appeals to my personal taste in compact and retro-modern. The Bezzera site is one of those idiot flash things without ip addresses, so you need to navigate to "semi-commercial machines" and "strega" to get the details.

What's fabulous is that this is a pourover with a low pressure vibe pump to fill the boiler and do preinfusion on the lever cylinder. Previously, only a Pavoni Pub catering machine used this configuration. What's also interesting is that it uses the group heater like the BZ07. Slayer killer or Rube Goldberg?
Jim Schulman

Bluecold (original poster)

#14: Post by Bluecold (original poster) »

The dutch dealer Casabarista will get a prototype this week and will report about their findings soon after that apparently.

I wouldn't fret too much about the vibe pump. Bez doesn't have to use the E5 Ulka, they could also use the EP8LT, which has a much lower pressure and a higher flowrate, so more suited to flushing and preinfusion. It's not quite as noisy too.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

hperry

#15: Post by hperry »

Junior wrote:There is a direct connect (and drain) option implied which I would expect provides enough for a solenoid bypass rather than a pump to be used, but it isnt described as such. I'd rather see it offered as a vibe/tank and direct/novibe options, but I have to think this is a very narrow niche market to begin with and offering many options would further fragment production. Despite the clamor for such a product from this crowd.

The use of an HX means flushing. Flushing with a lever controlled vibe pump seems like a noisy kludge compared to using line pressure.
I use an HX lever every day and flushing, as you would understand it on a pump machine, is not an issue. I leave the technical explanation to Doug if he wants to chime in, but all it takes is a pull or two to get it up to temperature. Nothing after that is necessary.
Hal Perry

1st-line
Sponsor

#16: Post by 1st-line »

Bluecold wrote:I wouldn't fret too much about the vibe pump. Bez doesn't have to use the E5 Ulka, they could also use the EP8LT, which has a much lower pressure and a higher flowrate, so more suited to flushing and preinfusion. It's not quite as noisy too.
Yes, but this other pump may not fill the boiler fast enough.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

Junior
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by Junior »

another_jim wrote: Slayer killer or Rube Goldberg?
Levers, at least to me, have several selling points: 1) simplicity (primarily mechanical rather than electrical controlled systems); 2) quiet; 3) taste and 4) appearance.

Right off the bat, this design loses one of these selling points, and possibly two. I can't wait to see how this product comes out in its execution and really hope that it builds a better mousetrap for home users.

The Euro1800 is not a prohibitive price point if it really delivers something better than what is out there today.
Michael

Bluecold (original poster)

#18: Post by Bluecold (original poster) »

1st-line wrote:Yes, but this other pump may not fill the boiler fast enough.
http://www.ceme.com/admin/moduli/m003_w ... KA_web.pdf
Ceme has a lot of different pumps in the same form factor.
The mentioned EP8LT would fill with about 100cc/min (minimal) at 1.4 bar. If the boiler is cold and unpressurized, filling would be a lot faster, up to 1000cc/min.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

yakster
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by yakster »

There's a bit more information on this Casabarista site http://www.casabarista.nl in Dutch (use Google Translate).

The site specifically mentions that you can order the model with a 4 liter tank and pump or the direct-connect model without pump.

I was looking for a video of this machine in action, but was not able to find one, but a picture on Flickr led me to the site listed above.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Carneiro

#20: Post by Carneiro »

Soooo nice!

A switched pump/direct would be nice. Anything that couldn't be done to a pump/tank version.

Márcio.