Bezzera Strega Mods: effect on taste and workflow - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Marcje

#11: Post by Marcje »

doobedy wrote:
The flow rate is double, but the tubing is so restricted (on purpose?) that the flow rate remains exactly the same once it's hooked up. Around 10ml/s. It actually might be a fun mod to let it hit 20ml/s, a step closer to dipper or line pressure flow rate.
I was also thinking about flow rate as a parameter. Big dippers have a high flow rate, but is this just a result of a design requirement to produce many shots in a professional cafe setting, or are there taste benefits?
Enlarging the feed channel towards the Strega group is not that difficult, but since it has only 1 feed channel, I was afraid one 'big' stream can mess up the puck... any thoughts?

jamesz

#12: Post by jamesz »

baldheadracing wrote: 75db - Quick Mill Pulsor installed on the pump, ...;
I would like to do this mod on my Strega but the stock pump and copper feed line are very close (as shown here The Super Strega: Modifying preinfusion pressures and other functional improvements ) It seems there is not enough space to install the pulsar without moving the pump. Do you have photos showing how the Pulsor was installed? Thanks.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#13: Post by baldheadracing replying to jamesz »

Sorry I don't have pics and the machine isn't handy to take apart at the moment. I did move the pump - there's lots of holes to choose from :D. I do remember that to move the pump, I also had to replace the hard plastic line coming out of the pump with a braided line from a Silvia. I'll see if I can get to the machine later this week - no promises, though.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

jamesz

#14: Post by jamesz replying to baldheadracing »

That's enough info for now. I will have another look later, maybe get a braided hose as well.

BKH (original poster)

#15: Post by BKH (original poster) »

I got the EP8 Ulka pump and like the changes. As mentioned earlier I get the same flow rate, about 50ml total shot volume (without too many drops during preinfusion). And it is very quiet.

I wasn't able to remove the inner spring easily so I just left it. With the new pump the catch is higher so I imagine my peak pressure is closer to 9 bar anyway.

Overall I like this simple change that takes the edge off the Strega and makes a more consistent preinfusion. Maybe some day I will PID the group heaters...

Stephane_Paris

#16: Post by Stephane_Paris »

BKH wrote:I got the EP8 Ulka pump and like the changes. As mentioned earlier I get the same flow rate, about 50ml total shot volume (without too many drops during preinfusion). And it is very quiet.
Hi, i may have to change my pump, is it eay to do it ?

Thank's
LMWDP #588.

BKH (original poster)

#17: Post by BKH (original poster) »

Yes. People say some of these other mods are straight forward but replacing the pump is even easier; it is plug and play. I'm not very technically savvy.

It took me some time to go slow and figure out how to take off the case. Once that is off you just need a few wrenches (I used a 3mm hex for bolts on the screws, and then 10mm and 2x13mm wrenches on the pump) to undo a few more things to get at the pump so you can swap. It probably took me 2 hours but it was the first time going into the back of this machine. Have some towels to protect the machine and keep water from spilling where it shouldn't.

Stephane_Paris

#18: Post by Stephane_Paris replying to BKH »

Thank's ;)
LMWDP #588.

laza80

#19: Post by laza80 »

BKH wrote:Yes. People say some of these other mods are straight forward but replacing the pump is even easier; it is plug and play. I'm not very technically savvy.

It took me some time to go slow and figure out how to take off the case. Once that is off you just need a few wrenches (I used a 3mm hex for bolts on the screws, and then 10mm and 2x13mm wrenches on the pump) to undo a few more things to get at the pump so you can swap. It probably took me 2 hours but it was the first time going into the back of this machine. Have some towels to protect the machine and keep water from spilling where it shouldn't.

Thanks for encouraging the rest of us who are not technically savvy. Can you please share the replacement pump link, there are lot of similar models out there on net.

BKH (original poster)

#20: Post by BKH (original poster) »

It's the same one Doobedy recommended. I got it here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ULKA-EP8-29W ... /635778838