Bezzera Strega for dummies! - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
walt_in_hawaii

#41: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

No. The only reason you are pulling down is that you are trying to protect your puck. On the Strega this isn't exactly needed, since I only pull doubles on it, about 19g and that is a pretty big/strong puck, so I've never had one break. But when pulling singles, about half the time I will have a problem caused by the piston moving UP (drawing in air through the puck) when you pull the handle DOWN. So, to avoid this and for consistency's sake, I just do it all the time as good practice. You are pulling the handle down to move the piston up; this sucks in air... if the puck is tight up against the group, the air will get pulled through the puck and might break it; then you get a gusher. So, pulling the handle down is only to get the air into the group without fracturing your puck. So you pull down the handle until just before anything happens... you stop short of any steam escaping or water gushing. Just get close, you don't have to nail it every time.

Other than that, just relax and enjoy yourself. This is supposed to be fun!
"The women are lovely, the wine is superb...
but there's something about the song that disturbs you..."

minotakis (original poster)

#42: Post by minotakis (original poster) »

walt_in_hawaii wrote:No. The only reason you are pulling down is that you are trying to protect your puck. On the Strega this isn't exactly needed, since I only pull doubles on it, about 19g and that is a pretty big/strong puck, so I've never had one break. But when pulling singles, about half the time I will have a problem caused by the piston moving UP (drawing in air through the puck) when you pull the handle DOWN. So, to avoid this and for consistency's sake, I just do it all the time as good practice. You are pulling the handle down to move the piston up; this sucks in air... if the puck is tight up against the group, the air will get pulled through the puck and might break it; then you get a gusher. So, pulling the handle down is only to get the air into the group without fracturing your puck. So you pull down the handle until just before anything happens... you stop short of any steam escaping or water gushing. Just get close, you don't have to nail it every time.

Ok, understood..thanks!

espressotime

#43: Post by espressotime »

You are overthinking it .The machine works easy.
I've owned a Strega for 2 years and never had any problems.
Use it as it is meant to be used.
Grind,tamp ,lock in,pull the lever down,pump engages,wait until you see the first drops and release the lever.
Alle you have to do is adjust your grindsetting to accomplish this.
Strega is an easy machine to use.

Stephane_Paris

#44: Post by Stephane_Paris »

@minotakis did you test with another coffee ?, i'll rather advide you to try to find good result with normal way to use it, Then go test what you want after, but you see

@walt_in_hawaii could you make a video too for "you" method ?
LMWDP #588.

minotakis (original poster)

#45: Post by minotakis (original poster) replying to Stephane_Paris »

I am using a brand new coffee now, I bought 1 kg and I am going to experiment with it for the next days..

walt_in_hawaii

#46: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

no video necessary. Here is a cut n paste from the Bezzera Strega - Second Look thread:

If you want the master class shot with the flavor clarity of classic levers, but the denser body and crema of pump machines; here is the drill:
No flush is required if you want to minimize acidity. If you want to bring out the acidity, the longest flush needed is about four to five seconds, until the flash boiling stops. Longer flushes than that are unnecessary, since the group itself does most of the temperature regulation.
Allow the pump to run until it fills the group, quiets down (indicating 9 bar pressure) and until you see a slow flow of espresso. This takes about ten seconds; E61 users will feel right at home with this part.
Now lift the lever slightly, enough to shut off the pump, but not enough to engage the spring. Let the compressed air continue to force out the espresso in a slow flow. This trick adds both to the body and clarity of the shot, but I cannot explain why.
Once the air is decompressed and the flow slows down, lift the lever and engage the spring. But keep your hand on the handle and control its rate of rise, in order to maintain a steady flow. Keeping the flow very slow and steady will produce a dense, viscous shot without much crema; while a steady normal flow rate will produce a shot with pump espresso body and crema. The best tasting alternative here will depend on the coffee and your mood.
To end the shot, once the coffee stream blonds or the volume is sufficient, pull the lever down slightly, so the flow stops; and remove the cup.

I should have directed you to this earlier but was too lazy to look it up, sorry!

Stephane_Paris

#47: Post by Stephane_Paris »

I see now ;) i've tried that too with good result :D
LMWDP #588.

ciaodown

#48: Post by ciaodown »

I've had my Strega for a few years, and whenever I think I've reached the next level of experience....the cold, brutal reality slaps me in the face.

I'm not very technical but would like to get to the bottom of this pump issue. :roll:

The pump goes nearly silent and though the boiler seems to have pressure, the group doesn't fill and coffee can't be made.

This can happen when the machine is cold OR hot, and was intermittent. Now I'm pretty sure it won't return to normal until I fix something... but what??! I took these videos (in order from top to bottom) in December 2018 and Feb 2019 to try and capture the sounds and status over time... can anyone HELP?!!

Stephane_Paris

#49: Post by Stephane_Paris »

Hi, i can only reply about the orange light not On even if you have water on the tank, i have this problem too, it's the two screw on border side of you tank who are supposed to be a safety (when orange led goes Off) who tell you to refill you tank, but sometime it fail.., try to clean the screw on the border side, try to slightly bend the contact blades who touch the screws.

Normally that should work, for me it worked for a while then i had to change the screw for brass screw for better contact, that worked but i get lot of limestone on it, so i finally use the defeat the system solution Owner experience with Bezzera Strega Owner experience with Bezzera Strega[/url] a little more precision to not make the same error i made trying to doing that Owner experience with Bezzera Strega ;)
LMWDP #588.

walt_in_hawaii

#50: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

kevin, your pump isn't working correctly. The pump is very cheap, like twenty or thirty bucks. Its also possilbe you have an obstruction in one of the water lines between the pump and group. I'd pull the pump, and just run it without it being connected to the machine to check its output. Its just a magnet and the pump itself is a simple oscillating rod with a spring on it.... I've had them fail and it still makes the same noise as before, but pumps no water.... but very cheap to replace.