Bezzera Strega for dummies! - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
DeGaulle

Postby DeGaulle » Feb 04, 2019, 6:32 am

minotakis wrote:If I am not mistaking the original basket is 16 gr, is it ok if I put 18 gr in a 16gr basket?

Relax and start by reading this:

Bezzera Strega Review
Bert

espressotime

Postby espressotime » Feb 04, 2019, 7:09 am

another_jim wrote:The 20 gram VST basket is because Bezzera has no clue at all on how to properly use the machine they design and build; and therefore supply baskets that don't work?

Sometimes I wish was a like button.

minotakis

Postby minotakis » replying to espressotime » Feb 04, 2019, 7:33 am

meaning?

espressotime

Postby espressotime » replying to minotakis » Feb 04, 2019, 8:00 am

That a stock Strega is capable of making beautiful shots of espresso.Just like Jim said.

Claws

Postby Claws » Feb 05, 2019, 6:44 am

Ahoi there fellow Bezzera user.

I'm new to the Strega as well, having previously used a BFC E61 (and before that, Elektra Micro Casa A Leva and a La Pavoni) and, after adjusting the pressure (the previous owner had it set to 1.5 bar. Way too hot for me), I was about to install a dimmer to adjust the preinfusion, something you might be interested in.

The Super Jolly mazzer is an excellent grinder imo, but I had to grind slightly finer than I would on my E61 machine, using a slightly lighter tamp to get good results on the strega, also using your shower screen and a 18g VST basket (the previous owner supplied).

I am dosing to 18g to produce an espresso doppio, with a naked portafilter (just because I like to look at the droplets forming from below :lol: ). After pulling the lever down and releasing the steam / built up hot water, I insert the portafilter as the pump is engaging (so I pull the lever down FIRST, then insert the portafilter). It takes about 8 seconds for drops to appear. The lever takes about 15-18 seconds (depends how hard I tamp) to reach about 75% of the way, at which point I usually have a sufficiently full cup, which is enjoyable, albeit I am still experiencing a tiny bit of blonding at the very end. You might try something along these parameters and go from there, as this setup has yet to produce an "unenjoyable" cup (at least for my darker roasts with 10-20% robusta). My pressure is set to be between 1.1 and 1.2 - how about yours?

I am using a motor dimmer that goes up to 3800W, so plenty of power to spare and figured I'd drop my question here since it might be of interest to you as well, as this type of switch is available for around 10 bucks and might be easier to install than a lightswitch dimmer if I have figured this out correctly (not trying to hijack this thread) !

Dimmer
Diagramm:

I just unplugged the blue wire from the ulka pump, plugged one spade connector from the regulator into said blue wire connector and the other spade connector from the regulator into the ulka pump itself. It works just fine.

(Fancy paint diagram for reference)

Edit: Ofc I'd ground it by connecting the ground on the Volt regulator to the ground in the machine bottom.
Edited with results.

minotakis

Postby minotakis » Feb 05, 2019, 10:26 am

Claws wrote:Ahoi there fellow Bezzera user.

I'm new to the Strega as well, having previously used a BFC E61 (and before that, Elektra Micro Casa A Leva and a La Pavoni) and, after adjusting the pressure (the previous owner had it set to 1.5 bar. Way too hot for me), I was about to install a dimmer to adjust the preinfusion, something you might be interested in.

The Super Jolly mazzer is an excellent grinder imo, but I had to grind slightly finer than I would on my E61 machine, using a slightly lighter tamp to get good results on the strega, also using your shower screen and a 18g VST basket (the previous owner supplied).

I am dosing to 18g to produce an espresso doppio, with a naked portafilter (just because I like to look at the droplets forming from below :lol: ). After pulling the lever down and releasing the steam / built up hot water, I insert the portafilter as the pump is engaging (so I pull the lever down FIRST, then insert the portafilter). It takes about 8 seconds for drops to appear. The lever takes about 15-18 seconds (depends how hard I tamp) to reach about 75% of the way, at which point I usually have a sufficiently full cup, which is enjoyable, albeit I am still experiencing a tiny bit of blonding at the very end. You might try something along these parameters and go from there, as this setup has yet to produce an "unenjoyable" cup (at least for my darker roasts with 10-20% robusta). My pressure is set to be between 1.1 and 1.2 - how about yours?

I am using a motor dimmer that goes up to 3800W, so plenty of power to spare and figured I'd drop my question here since it might be of interest to you as well, as this type of switch is available for around 10 bucks and might be easier to install than a lightswitch dimmer if I have figured this out correctly (not trying to hijack this thread) !

Dimmer
<image>
Diagramm:
<image>

Would I be correct in assuming that I can simply cut the brown wire in the Strega, attach each end to a wire connector, and from there run a wire (each) to the in and out terminals on my dimmer?

<image>

(Fancy paint diagram for reference)
<image>

Or am I connecting it to a different part of the pump? I am using the super strega thread for reference, but I'd rather get your opinion before i disassemble the machine (and possibly break the pump with faulty wiring)
The Super Strega: Modifying preinfusion pressures and other functional improvements

Thank you for your answer,
the stuff tha you are writing at the second part of your post are far beyond my level of experience...
About the first part of your post, after reading the posts and some links that were attached, I decided to start experimenting using the method of Stephane_Paris and I also decided to avoid flushing in order to decrease acidity.
I am using now the original basket of the Strega and I begun with 17 gramms. I try to get the first drops approximately when the sound of the pump stops.I also stopped using the timer. As I can understand the time of your shot is faster than mine. How many gramms of espresso do you take?
I will try to tamp lighter, like you do.
The pressure is set between 0.9 and 1.3.

Stephane_Paris

Postby Stephane_Paris » Feb 05, 2019, 1:54 pm

I keep flushing, at least for the first shot, as i said around 30-36 Gr in cup, just when blonding start
LMWDP #588.

minotakis

Postby minotakis » replying to Stephane_Paris » Feb 05, 2019, 2:02 pm

I almost follow your method... :lol: ...I want to avoid acidity, at least for now. In the link that you recommended I read that if you want to decrease acidity donnot flush. So I start to experiment this way

Stephane_Paris

Postby Stephane_Paris » Feb 05, 2019, 6:17 pm

It's not my method, it's the basic i've learned, mostly here ;)

First keep the basic Then go try what you want
LMWDP #588.

walt_in_hawaii

Postby walt_in_hawaii » Feb 05, 2019, 10:56 pm

you need to develop consistency; are you using a cold machine that is warming UP? or a hot machine that you need to cool DOWN? The flushing is to control your group temp. But it depends on how long your machine is on and when your last shot was pulled. Like the majority of people here, I don't leave my machine on all day. That's for coffee shops. I only turn it on for about an hour in the morning, to draw the morning's cups. Then its off all day.... From startup you can get an ok cup in as little as 15 min, but I usually wait around 30-45 min for a better cup. If your machine has been on longer than that, that's normally when you start looking to flushes to bring the temp down a little.