Bezzera Strega - First time setup

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
italian-rocker

#1: Post by italian-rocker »

New to Home-Barista!
I just purchased and received a beautiful BEZZERA Strega lever machine.
I previously had a La Pavoni Europiccola lever machine but when I received the Strega I was very impressed as it looks like a commercial machine to me....
I was wondering if there is anything I need to know to set up before start making espressos with the bezzera?
I just put water in the tank as I would ne using it that way and not sure if there is anything else I need to know.
The la pavoni was very straight forward and didn't require basically anything to start but this one seems like another thing and wanted to make sure I start using it properly.

Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated!

For you to know I am using it with a "Eureka Oro Mignon single dose grinder" which I love.

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

Put water in, plug it in, turn it on. Boiler should fill for a while. Might want to refill the tank afterwards.

Don't let the lever hit you in the face. :wink:

Enjoy.
LMWDP #353

Advertisement
jpaulm

#3: Post by jpaulm »

I got a sheet of instructions with mine saying let the machine heat for 12 hours. Then flush for 30 sec and drain the boiler by the water and steam taps. Repeat. Then ready to use. Maybe to remove any impurities left from the manufacturing process?

bostonbuzz

#4: Post by bostonbuzz »

Interesting. I got mine due to "buyer's remorse," no instructions like that. That makes sense.
LMWDP #353

italian-rocker (original poster)

#5: Post by italian-rocker (original poster) »

Thanks so much for the answer!
So basically just fill the tank, turn it on and wait?
Approximately how long should take to be ready?

mathof

#6: Post by mathof »

Here are some instruction I found by googling:

https://support.wholelattelove.com/hc/e ... manual.pdf

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

jpaulm wrote:I got a sheet of instructions with mine saying let the machine heat for 12 hours. Then flush for 30 sec and drain the boiler by the water and steam taps. Repeat. Then ready to use. Maybe to remove any impurities left from the manufacturing process?
My guess is that this is a way to confirm that there were no leaks caused by shipping damage without having the recipient remove the case.

It is amazing how much damage there can be with non-pallet shipments, even if well-packed. Of the four machines that I've had shipped to me via UPS or various post offices, three have had shipping damage, with one suffering from leaks.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
jpaulm

#8: Post by jpaulm »

Here's a scan of the instructions.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

Out of interest I pulled out my Strega manual (copyright date 2007) and there is nothing like that.

However, I did pull a random Bezzera manual from the Internet (Bezzera Matrix Duo copyright 2018 https://www.elektros.it/media/product/1 ... ix-Duo.pdf ) and there was similar text and warning that descaling voids the warranty on page 54.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

mrgnomer

#10: Post by mrgnomer »

Congratulations. Great machine. Be careful of the lever uppercut until you get used to the spring tension. To be safe you could think about holding in the portafilter during a pull to keep it from popping out while the gasket gets worked in.

The hydraulic circuit cleaning directions are new to me. I don't remember seeing them with the machine I got.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love