Bezzera Family Restoration - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
beer&mathematics

#11: Post by beer&mathematics »

LObin wrote:Have you tried the Olympia group gasket?

I've also had success using two seals on a Olympia Club. With the stock Olympia gasket, the portafilter would lock so far right that it'd be in the way when steaming milk.
Can't remember if I used the old Olympia and a 49mm La Pavoni or two La Pavoni gaskets but it now locks firmly at 6 o'clock. It's a different group but who knows...
I tried the OE Olympia silicone gasket and it doesn't fit (it's a bit too big IIRC)-I'd need to google my old post to be sure lol
LMWDP #431

beer&mathematics

#12: Post by beer&mathematics »

Amazing find Nico! Seems like you are close to finishing already!

Mine continues to be a decoration piece as I have to have someone fix some pinhole leaks on the pipes :/

By the way, I'd look into a bottomless pf since the clearance is pretty low on that machine. I bought the one from Creative Werk* on EBay and it works really well on the Bezzera
LMWDP #431

NicoNYC (original poster)

#13: Post by NicoNYC (original poster) »

Alicia, I think I covered those questions on your fb post. This is the thread I mentioned - your machine has valves w/ knobs so I don't know if the valve seals will be the same, but everything about the piston seals and grouphead seal should be applicable to yours.

For what it's worth, I'm using an inexpensive 49mm tamper from Amazon, "VD Coffee" brand, it's well made and works as well as a tamper can.
LMWDP #718

#14: Post by NicoNYC (original poster) »

Jorge, my machine has now been in daily use since around June of this year, around 2-6 shots a day. I recently re-lubed the piston seals as it was starting to stutter a bit at the end of shots but otherwise it's been smooth sailing. Btw, your thread here was very helpful in getting some of the seals for mine so thank you.

You're right about the clearance, my demitasses fit fine but 4.5 oz Gibraltar glasses need to be angled in, like getting a tall dresser into an elevator. It's become second nature now but still a pain and I think the extra few mm from a bottomless portafilter will be enough to clear it. Also I've noticed that the portafilter is pretty slow to drain the last few drops of coffee.
LMWDP #718

linnaen

#15: Post by linnaen »

NicoNYC wrote: I added a temp strip to the group head and with the boiler at 1.0 bar, the group stabilizes at about 80°C/176°F. I might bring this down a touch to try and have it closer to 75°C, I'll see once I've had a few days with it.
Why such a low temperature?

#16: Post by NicoNYC (original poster) replying to linnaen »

That's the temperature the group idles at (or at least the temperature indicated on the little LCD strip). The water in the boiler should be about 120°C, and as best I can measure, water exits the group at about 95°C.
LMWDP #718