Bezzera Family from the ground up (completed) - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
fsarra (original poster)

#31: Post by fsarra (original poster) »

NicoNYC wrote:I had the same fear as you, my simple solution was to remove the actuating lever from the front of the fill valve, but leave the valve itself in place.
That's an great idea, I'll probably do that for peace of mind! Maybe I can find a threaded cap to make it look more refined for the long term. I don't see myself plumbing it in anytime soon!

BTW I installed the group on my machine yesterday and did a test run with everything under pressure and the new shaft worked well! It looks like I got the length within tolerance since water came out when I pulled the lever down. I'm getting close to pulling the first shot!

fsarra (original poster)

#32: Post by fsarra (original poster) »

Oskuk wrote:Sure interesting stuff! That snapping seems a real risk as the thermal expanding of brass is more than steel, so heating is not that clever option? But if keep in freezer for night and the heat up the brass, and twist before the heat is reaching the steely bar?
You're right! It was a big risk indeed. I didn't know about the thermal expansion differences between brass and stainless, I'll keep that in mind for the next time and try what you recommend. It just might work if the steel stays cold enough.

fsarra (original poster)

#33: Post by fsarra (original poster) »

espressojr wrote: I sheared my piston shaft as well a while back and put my family lever in the basement until I figured out what to do.
Oh man! Let me know if you'd be interested in having me make one for you. Or I could provide some drawings for you to have a machinist make one near you.

fsarra (original poster)

#34: Post by fsarra (original poster) »

Its been a while since I have posted on this!
I had been waiting almost 2 month for my frame and case to be powder coated and this fall has been busy in general for me so I havent had the time post about my restoration.

I did finally get my parts back from the powder coater and was able to get things assembled for a few photos.

Here are the parts. I think they look good! The color matching was difficult but I am happy with the results, I think the original color had a bit more yellow in it which gave it an orange hue but I prefer the red personally.

And here are some pictures after I assembled it.
I ended up machining some new countersunk washers for the face plate since I was missing one.

Now I have to pick up where I left off with the steam wand and water tap. More on that as soon as I have a moment to regroup and come up with a plan.

beer&mathematics

#35: Post by beer&mathematics »

Awesome work! Don't fret the delay :) mine is still unfinished after almost a decade haha
LMWDP #431

fsarra (original poster)

#36: Post by fsarra (original poster) »

Ok folks, I think I can call it a wrap on this restoration.

I contemplated my solution for the steam and water wand for what feels like the entire time I had this machine in my possession.
I made a separate post on the repairs forum and got a few good ideas from there and after that I was convinced that the best route to address this would be to make new steam and water wands from scratch. It would allow me to produce exactly what I wanted AND I wouldn't have to make any irreversible modifications on the machine. Win Win in my book.

After digging deeper into this, I started to realize that things were looking pretty bleak in that direction. It's one thing to souce the tubing from Stefano's and bend it. Its a whole other ballgame to try and find the proper fittings and nipples that are compatible with an older machine. Stefano's carries a bunch of things for this, but the threads on the bottom of my steam and water valves was not a standard BSP thread so that kind of killed that plan.

What I opted to do instead was to modify the existing wands to accept off the shelf tips and aerators.

The steam wand would be easier to modify because the tubing is 6mm in diameter and steam tips for La Pavoni Europiccola machines are M6 threads.

For this I purchased a steam tip made by Coffee Sensor.

https://coffeeaddicts.us/products/la-pa ... b703&_ss=r

The water tap was a bit more complicated. I found it difficult to find out what thread sizes were used on them, and I didn't want to go ordering parts just to find out myself.

I ended up buying this aerator from Stefano's because they provided a thread size. Albeit it is incorrect lol. The thread size is actually M10 not M9.

https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... vbm-isomac

After doing some research into this I found an adapter sold by Caffewerks and it gave me an idea of what I needed to make.

https://caffewerks.com/products/steam-tip-adapter

It is essentially a male to female thread adapter but in my case I wanted the thread size to go from M6x1.00 female threads to M10x1.00 male threads.

With a little bit of work on the mill, I was able to turn down the ferrule on the end of the wands down to 6mm and thread them to M6 with a threading die.

First step was to center the spindle on the tube with a coaxial indicator.

I think turned down the ferrule with a boring head.

And tap external threads with a threading die and a cone to keep the die from wiggling around as I turned it.

For the steam wand that was it, job done.

Now for the thread adapter I did a bad job documenting, I apologize. It was a ghost town at school with students leaving for the thanksgiving break so I took advantage of the time, but I worked as if I was being chased by a pack of students wanting answers to their questions! That is to say quickly!

Here is a picture of the part mostly completed.

And here is a verbal explanation of the process. You can probably skip this but I wanted to write it up in case I need to make another one some day.

I had a little bit of brass round that worked well for this. I first turned the major diameter for about an 1 inch and a half of length and faced off the end. I then turned down the diameter where the male threads would be to 10mm and used a parting tool to make a relief at the base of the threads. I then threaded that end with a single point threading tool.
After checking to make sure the threads fit nicely I chamfered the end of the threaded portion and parted the piece off to a rough length. I then threaded the piece into the water tap and wrapped the outside with a sheet of shim stock to protect the finish while it was clamped in the chuck. After that I faced off the opposite end and counterbored a clearance hole with a size C drill bit for the tube to pass through. I then used a no.9 bit the bore the remaining 1/4 inch or so and tapped that with an M6 tap. The rest of the work was decorative OCD nonsense.

This shows the subtle clearance hole that gives the adapter a cleaner look as it covers where the threading ends on the tubing.

And here you can see the short bit of M6 threading on the other end.

And here it is put together.

The last thing I had to address had to do with lead. This is where I might still need some feedback from more knowledgable people.
In hindsight I probably did some things to this machine that were not great from a metal leeching stand point.

I was mostly worried about the piston losing some of its oxide coating in throughout the cleaning process so I went ahead and applied a phosphor coating as per the directions in this post.

Addressing Lead in pre-2014/2004 espresso machines

Should I be worried about the boiler though? After the first few times I filled it up and ran it through some heating cycles and dumped the water out I did notice discolored water came out of the machine. It doesnt seem to be doing that anymore but I do notice a slight metalic taste to the shots I have pulled. I am still dialing everything so the shots have been sour AF so maybe that is the problem, or maybe I am being paranoid and hyperconscious. I'd appreciate any feedback you might have on the topic.

Oh! And here are some pictures of everything put back together.

Cos270

#37: Post by Cos270 »

Absolutely stunning work.

fsarra (original poster)

#38: Post by fsarra (original poster) »

:D Thanks!

fsarra (original poster)

#39: Post by fsarra (original poster) »

beer&mathematics wrote:Awesome work! Don't fret the delay :) mine is still unfinished after almost a decade haha
What do you have left to do on yours?

beer&mathematics

#40: Post by beer&mathematics »

You are a legend! Great work!

Many people talked about making new wands but only you had the skills and desire to do so :)
LMWDP #431