Bezzera B2000AL(?) overhaul

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
guijan12

#1: Post by guijan12 »

A few weeks ago I picked up this lever to tinker with and to renovate.

A number of things stand out to me about the Bezzera:
• There is no type plate, so it is not clear what type it is. It could be a B2000AL, but who knows, please share it... :idea: ,
• The machine has been worked on before; I found traces of Teflon tape on couplings that don't need it,
• No electrical protection whatsoever is installed,
• The boiler is not frame mounted, but 'hangs' on the pipework,
• The boiler must be filled manually but then the sight glass is mounted pretty out of sight (unless the machine is installed in a higher place).

The water part appears to be in good condition.
Some lime here and there, but not extreme.
It turns out to be a not too large boiler with a horizontal HX.
The group and the spring are in a lesser condition, but do not seem extremely bad to me.
The machine is intended to be permanently connected to the water and drain.

The frame and bodywork doesn't seem too bad either; a little rust, but the chrome (except for the lever) looks reasonable (I'm not an expert here...).

Electrically it needs to be completely overhauled: the main switch is broken and the wiring is partly melted.
Both heating elements are toast.

I think the machine is ugly and clumsy, especially since the group is not visible.
The reason I picked it up is because I like doing odd jobs and who knows it will be a nice revision story.
But I'm not a sheet metal worker and I can't weld, so I'll have to call in outside help for large-scale adjustments.

A while ago I saw a large-scale adjustment somewhere (possibly on HB), where the group was being worked in sight, but can't find those posts.... Maybe search a little better. :)
It is now mostly dismantled, now first clean, order materials (if available) and repair, where necessary.
Then insulate and make a plan for the enclosure...
To be continued..... :arrow:

Regards,

Guido

guijan12 (original poster)

#2: Post by guijan12 (original poster) »

I would like to ask for help in further identifying the machine.

According to the signage on the body it is a Bezzera.
The lever grouphead seems very similar to a Bezzera B200AL, except for grouphead heating.
That is separate from the HX and heated directly from the boiler.

Regards,

Guido

#3: Post by guijan12 (original poster) »

Electrical the machine is very simple:

But I can not identify the heater elements being Bezzera:

And where to get a new set elements.
Regards,

Guido

#4: Post by guijan12 (original poster) »

The machine is at least 28 years old.
I hope this helps to identify it and bring back to live. :idea:
Thanks. :D
Regards,

Guido

RobAnybody

#5: Post by RobAnybody »

Hi Guido,
I found a mention of this machine on a Dutch coffee forum https://www.koffiepraat.nl/forum/viewto ... =12&t=3745.
Interestingly they mention that apparently even at Bezzera no-one was able to tell what the name of the machine is.
Cheers,
Rob
LMWDP #647

RobAnybody

#6: Post by RobAnybody »

And these strega heating elements appear to use the same mount https://brooks-espressomachines.com/en/ ... 1250-1450w
Do you have any idea of the wattage of the original heating elements?
LMWDP #647

#7: Post by guijan12 (original poster) »

RobAnybody wrote:Hi Guido,
I found a mention of this machine on a Dutch coffee forum https://www.koffiepraat.nl/forum/viewto ... =12&t=3745.
Interestingly they mention that apparently even at Bezzera no-one was able to tell what the name of the machine is.
Cheers,
Rob

Thanks Rob,

I asked this very same question in the koffiepraat forum and one of the forum members provided the link to the same thread.
Mooi speurwerk van je :lol:

It seems to be an Astoria group, not Bezzera
Regards,

Guido

#8: Post by guijan12 (original poster) »

RobAnybody wrote:And these strega heating elements appear to use the same mount https://brooks-espressomachines.com/en/ ... 1250-1450w
Do you have any idea of the wattage of the original heating elements?

Yes, thanks, I found these.
The originals were probably 700 W each.
Regards,

Guido

RobAnybody

#9: Post by RobAnybody »

if you want to stay close to the original setup you could try to contact thermowatt, they make custom heating elements of this type https://www.thermowatt.com/en/products/ ... ement.html
LMWDP #647

#10: Post by guijan12 (original poster) »

After 2 evenings of blood, sweat and tears, I was finally able to disassemble the group completely.
There are 2 more o-rings in the sleeve that are fully hardened and I still have to chip them out.

The bearings also did not go unnoticed; I had to 'modify' my tools, to get a little grip on it.
With a lot of effort I got about 1 mm. movement, then everything was stuck again.
Finally I tapped the axle through the bearings with a punch....

Regards,

Guido