Best techniques for La Pavoni Europiccola

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
alsk

#1: Post by alsk »

got my self the simple pavoni lever machine (Europiccola) and I was hoping to get some insights for the best techniques to get a shot with nice and sustainable crema.

BTW do I use the double portafilter or the single ?

Mark08859

#2: Post by Mark08859 »

The baskets on a Pavoni run a bit small regarding the grams of coffee they can hold. Most owners use the double basket only. Slightly overfill with a good tamp (and fresh, just ground coffee, of course). Raise the lever slowly so the incoming air doesn't crack the puck. A single pull of the pump gets you a nice ristretto. That should get you started. :-)

mogogear

#3: Post by mogogear »

You won't want to hear this just yet, $$$$$, but if you don't have a decent grinder- your shots will be never taste very good no matter how hard your work. So.... what do you have?

Decent could be as simple as a old hand crank KYM or Zazzenhaus grinder- ebay= $60 or a Mazzer mini= $400+

No whirly jobs, no Krups flat burr grinder etc- consistent and an ability to produce a grind fine enough to slow your shot down to a 25-30 second effort for a 3/4 -1 oz of results. The grinder in many / most equipment groups is the most important piece.

Your turn....
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

alsk (original poster)

#4: Post by alsk (original poster) »

a good burr grinder - now i'm trying to do the tradeoff between fine/coarse grinding and the temping i found out that the best crema comes when it's very hard to lower the lever - but i'm afraid that it's not so good for the machine

Fullsack

#5: Post by Fullsack »

This procedure worked well for me. A single basket, single shot gives you more shots per day before reaching your caffeine limit.

Great shot-Europiccola, 51mm, revised
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

Fullsack

#6: Post by Fullsack »

alsk wrote:a good burr grinder - now i'm trying to do the tradeoff between fine/coarse grinding and the temping i found out that the best crema comes when it's very hard to lower the lever - but i'm afraid that it's not so good for the machine
Forty pounds of pressure is ideal. I've pulled one with a lot more pressure than that and only bent the lever a little. :)
LMWDP #017

mogogear

#7: Post by mogogear »

Yep, What he said.................... Levers are meant to be pulled- don't be scared! The only ones you don't force are they ones that no espresso comes out of your PF spouts- Read: CHOKED! Then if you really lean on the lever you can cause some damage.....
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

alsk (original poster)

#8: Post by alsk (original poster) »

btw

what about double shot?

Fullsack

#9: Post by Fullsack replying to alsk »

Pull the shot, with the double basket, until you see the first drop of coffee, raise the lever all the way back up and hold for 4 seconds. Pull down until you see the beginning of blonding then pull the cup away before anymore coffee falls.

Some H-Bers do a double with a single pull. See what works best for you.
LMWDP #017

caffeind

#10: Post by caffeind »

Using the WDT method of stirring the grind before tamping, with a cut-off yogurt pot as a sort of funnel in the filter basket and a thin spike (eg frothing jug thermometer) to stir, I got instantly 200% better, smoother espresso out of a Europiccola, which wasn't too bad to start with :D . Pass it on!