Best tamper size for La Pavoni Europiccola Millenium - 51.0mm or 51.5mm ?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
agnaramasi

#1: Post by agnaramasi »

I am presently ordering a Reg Barber custom tamper for my new Pavoni Europiccola. My question is simple: what size of tamper will fit my basket best? I am confused as some posters suggest 51mm and others 51.5mm. Should I choose one somewhere in between?
J

ntwkgestapo

#2: Post by ntwkgestapo »

Typically, the BASKET is @ 51.5mm, I use an EPNW EP5 flat bottomed tamper that measures EXACTLY 51mm. IF you were to use a 51.5mm it'd more than likely bind as it went down inside the filter basket.

EDIT: this is for a newer system... Older,. pre 2000 systems were 49mm filter baskets.
Steve C.
I'm having an out of coffee experience!
LMWDP # 164

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
agnaramasi (original poster)

#3: Post by agnaramasi (original poster) »

so the 51mm is perfectly adequate for you?
I just want to get this right, as the cost is not negligible.
J

ntwkgestapo

#4: Post by ntwkgestapo »

Works just FINE for me... Does all that I could ask of it!
Steve C.
I'm having an out of coffee experience!
LMWDP # 164

Fullsack

#5: Post by Fullsack »

I have a 51.2 for my Europiccola and it is a little tight for low dosing in the tapered basket. Get a 51.0 or 51.1, nothing larger.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

jamhat

#6: Post by jamhat »

My 51.0mm Thor works like a champ. Fullsack made a good point about the single basket being narrower at the bottom - n.b.

cafeIKE

#7: Post by cafeIKE »

IMO, anything tighter than 0.5mm is a PITA.

See John Weiss' 51 in 58 test in Tamping Twaddle

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
IMAWriter

#8: Post by IMAWriter »

agnaramasi wrote:I am presently ordering a Reg Barber custom tamper for my new Pavoni Europiccola. My question is simple: what size of tamper will fit my basket best? I am confused as some posters suggest 51mm and others 51.5mm. Should I choose one somewhere in between?
J
If you don't mind the expense, you can send your basket to Reg, and he'll custom fit it.
I've heard that these basket varied very slightly.

EDIT...I meant the mailing expense.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

r-gordon-7

#9: Post by r-gordon-7 »

Another vote for 51.0 mm being fully adequate (in my case, for the Gaggia Factory, which has the same p/f & basket size as the Pavoni Millenium). Anything larger (or possibly larger than an additional .1mm) will likely bind, especially when low dosing or using the single...

r-gordon-7
r-gordon-7
LMWDP #188

Lockman

#10: Post by Lockman »

IMAWriter wrote:If you don't mind the expense, you can send your basket to Reg, and he'll custom fit it.
I've heard that these basket varied very slightly.
So if I buy another basket, my $80 Reg might not fit? :roll: The .5 under is looking better now to me.
LMWDP #226.

"It takes many victims to make a culinary masterpiece"