Baskets and dose for LSM group levers

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
def

#1: Post by def »

What baskets do you like to use for LSM lever group and what is you typical dose for light, medium, and dark roasts?

My first day experience:

I tried to dose 7 grams of dark roast in a single basket supplied by Izzo, and I did not have sufficient head space. Could be inexperience and poor tamping but I doubt I will be using this basket

Next I tried to dose 12 grams dark roast in a La San Marco double basket from Espresso Parts. I tried three times, and was very careful with tamping. 12 grams hits the shower screen, so it does not pass the nickel test and makes a mess. I guess this is good for 10 grams of dark roast, which makes this useless to me. Espresso Parts says that it holds 14g.

The baskets that I like and had good success with are very deep from Izzo. These I think are better quality than the LSM double from EP. Very small holes. I easily fit 17 grams of dark roast in these, and it passes the nickel test. I can just fit two nickels, and I get nice even extractions with 17 grams, no mess on the screen, and pucks come out very clean. Anyone know who supplies these Izzo baskets in the USA? Is there an double basket from Izzo or something similar quality for a true 14 to 15 gram double basket for LSM?

Some pictures below.

Above left to right: single Izzo, double LSM from EP, triple Izzo

Above: double LSM top, triple Izzo bottom

Above: triple Izzo

chappcc

#2: Post by chappcc »

def wrote:What baskets do you like to use for LSM lever group and what is you typical dose for light, medium, and dark roasts?
I purchased the naked portafilter when I purchased the Alex Leva and it came with the deep/triple basket. I've used it with doses from 17 to 20 grams of medium roasts with excellent results. I haven't tried any dark or light roasts. I am pretty sure the single portafilter is nearly useless. I've not tried the double since the deep basket works just fine.

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

Pretty much the same as what Cecil said. I was just pulling a few shots on mine minutes ago.

My Alex Leva has been bottomless since I bought it. I never swap the basket, it's a triple, no logo on it, I can't remember if it's the one that came with it or if I bought it afterwards, but I can't dose much beyond 20g and that's about where I tend to stay with it.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

truemagellen

#4: Post by truemagellen »

So the trick to the small basket is to use the small Izzo tamper and you might be able to squeeze in up to 9gram depending on the coffee. Tamp heavy in the middle to compact it then slowly work your way out. You can finish with a precision tamper but only light tamp. If I recall I used the weight of my larger precision tamp for the final tamp just to straighten out the top of the puck after using the smaller one.

Only a short pre-infusion otherwise the puck will not survive maybe 1-3secs.. Adjust your grind as well. It will be much harder to hit the sweet spot since you are putting 11bar into it. I'll try to make a video of it but I dont have some fancy setup to hold a camera or phone it so I'll have to wait for help :)

Here is a pic of tampers for reference for those who haven't seen it, one is solid stainless so estimate what that would feel like as a tamp and a light press, probably 5-10lbs.

espressotime

#5: Post by espressotime »

chappcc wrote:I purchased the naked portafilter when I purchased the Alex Leva and it came with the deep/triple basket. I've used it with doses from 17 to 20 grams of medium roasts with excellent results. I haven't tried any dark or light roasts. I am pretty sure the single portafilter is nearly useless. I've not tried the double since the deep basket works just fine.
Well you are wrong there.At least 50% of my shots are with the single.Works absolutely great.

espressotime

#6: Post by espressotime »

truemagellen wrote:So the trick to the small basket is to use the small Izzo tamper and you might be able to squeeze in up to 9gram depending on the coffee. Tamp heavy in the middle to compact it then slowly work your way out. You can finish with a precision tamper but only light tamp. If I recall I used the weight of my larger precision tamp for the final tamp just to straighten out the top of the puck after using the smaller one.

Only a short pre-infusion otherwise the puck will not survive maybe 1-3secs.. Adjust your grind as well. It will be much harder to hit the sweet spot since you are putting 11bar into it. I'll try to make a video of it but I dont have some fancy setup to hold a camera or phone it so I'll have to wait for help :)

Here is a pic of tampers for reference for those who haven't seen it, one is solid stainless so estimate what that would feel like as a tamp and a light press, probably 5-10lbs.

I don't agree.
I only use my 55 mm tamper.
If you dose over the deeper part of the basket that works great.I do pre infusions of 30 seconds if I want to using the single this way .
Going for the deeper part only will cause channeling.That's why you can't do longer pre infusions.

Of course you 'll have to find the sweet spot dosing with the single.That 's the trick.Half a gram too much and you will ruin the puck locking in.Too little and you'll have channeling guaranteed.
Once you have found that dosing sweet spot you also can use the same grind for bothe triple and single.

Trust me. I know what I am doing
Good luck!

truemagellen

#7: Post by truemagellen »

espressotime wrote:I don't agree.
I only use my 55 mm tamper.
If you dose over the deeper part of the basket that works great.I do pre infusions of 30 seconds if I want to using the single this way .
Going for the deeper part only will cause channeling.That's why you can't do longer pre infusions.

Of course you 'll have to find the sweet spot dosing with the single.That 's the trick.Half a gram too much and you will ruin the puck locking in.Too little and you'll have channeling guaranteed.
Can you record this? I am always open to new technique. Also how are u doing 30 sec preinfusions...do you shut off the valve on the back of group to let it bloom like a fancy slayer shot or just let the boiler preinfusion keep going with a super fine grind?

Advertisement
espressotime

#8: Post by espressotime replying to truemagellen »

Of course. Going to the vet with my dog now.
Later.

espressotime

#9: Post by espressotime »

truemagellen

#10: Post by truemagellen »

That looks great. So how many grams do you estimate?