Baskets and dose for LSM group levers - Page 7

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
def (original poster)

#61: Post by def (original poster) »

I finally got some lighter roasted coffee to try with the LSM group/Alex Leva. I have not read any discussion on light and medium-light roasts with the LSM, but why not?

I dosed 18g dose of Olympia Coffee Sweetheart espresso, ground fine on my Monolith Flat with SSP burrs:

I nailed the grind on the first shot and I was rewarded with a very even tiger-striped extraction. God shot. Very sweet, slightly bright but not tart like a lemon. Exactly as described -- chocolate, berries, cream. Very clean and light taste, and especially welcome after drinking Josuma Malabar Gold for a week.

I used the 28.5mm tall LF basket which gave me the ideal dose for this type of medium-light roast. This is the basket after the shot. Very clean:

I think the only thing remaining to try is a bonafide light roast on this machine. The 26mm tall 14g basket dosed at 16g light roast or 28.5mm tall basket should be capable of any light roast. I have some pink bourbon from Olympia which I will try after letting it rest for 8-10 days.

I am really growing fond of this Alex Leva because it has exceptional thermal stability which is easily controlled by the PID alone, I get very even extractions now that I am more familar with it, and the steaming power is amazing. As long as I keep my flushes short, the group stays within 3°F and rapidly cools between shots. An extended flush will heat up the group if that is necessary, but I have been able to set it between 120°C and 124°C depending on the roast, and by keeping my flushes short, shots and brew temperature stay very consistent.

Nick111

#62: Post by Nick111 »

@def,
I appreciate the information you have shared over the Leva.Not a Leva owner yet but trying to contribute.
from this link :/levers/own ... ml#p281560
by orphanespresso » Dec 29, 2012, 10:13 am

Thermosiphons, direct bolt on dippers, HX setups etc....all produce by and large a very similar shot as far as the quality that you are now experiencing, though on each and every machine one has to learn what the machine likes to do and what it simply will not do (La San Marco is very dose specific, but comes with 6 different basket sizes to very dose)

def (original poster)

#63: Post by def (original poster) »

six basket sizes for LSM? I found and have four different heights/depths.