Baskets and dose for LSM group levers - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Nick111

#21: Post by Nick111 »

@def,
thank you for the feedback and the clear picture.

belegnole

#22: Post by belegnole »

lol, this thread now has me crawling around in the basement looking at cabling. I live in a 100+ year old house and while the circuit breakers for the kitchen receptacles are 20 amp the outlets are the traditional 15 amp style. As I've seen all sorts of odd things in these old houses I decided that it would be best to be sure of the wiring. So off to the basement I went to check the cables to make sure everything was good and it is.

One more box checked...
LMWDP #641

Advertisement
espressotime

#23: Post by espressotime »

def wrote:I think was wrong and that there is no difference in the headspace of @espressotime's and my group. On the LSM group, there is a cylinder sleeve that is lower than the shower screen. The retainer clip snaps in below the screen. picture below. According to @espressotime, it is OK if the sleeve and clip touch the coffee bed as long as there is some space below the shower screen.

I'm not an expert in any way.
I've been using my Pompei for almost 8 years now and this is how I do it.
I judge if something is right or wrong by taste alone.
I don't care about the impression of the circlip in the puck.Others may think different.

espressotime

#24: Post by espressotime »

truemagellen

#25: Post by truemagellen »

I'll add it is my understanding the LSM group has not changed in atleast 25 years baised on parts diagrams for LSM machines.

Doug or Paul would know I am sure.

truemagellen

#26: Post by truemagellen »

espressotime wrote:I'm not an expert in any way.
I've been using my Pompei for almost 8 years now and this is how I do it.
I judge if something is right or wrong by taste alone.
I don't care about the impression of the circlip in the puck.Others may think different.
I just pulled 9.4 grams with the stock single basket using your method. Had an almost perfect shot. Matched flavor to the double I pulled right before it just a bit less mouthfeel.

Espressotime is now bestowed with the title of 'Single Basket Whisperer'

The real surprise was I used the same grind setting for the single and the double.

More proof puck prep on spring levers is far less critical than any other type of machine as all the Italian cafe videos confirm it to. Get the grind right and an ok but not great puck will almost correct itself during the preinfusion. And it probably why Italian companies ship with an undersized tamper.

truemagellen

#27: Post by truemagellen »

Or the ET Method 8)

Advertisement
def (original poster)

#28: Post by def (original poster) »

chappcc wrote:@espressotime

Great info on the single basket. I may give it another try.
What extraction ratio are you trying to achieve and how would you rate the taste of a single to a double?
Do you do a quick flush of the screen after each shot?
Would a flat vs conical make any difference in making shots at this dose level? I've read flat burrs produce more of a flat particle vs the conical which produces more of a spherical particle. This affects how the particles pack when tamped.
A flush will clean the shower screen but not the clip/sleeve, so I do not flush and instead I use a damp rag if these touched the coffee bed.

truemagellen

#29: Post by truemagellen »

Follow-up I've completed several more shots with the single basket. Different beans. The ET Method is very sensitive to grind and not forgiving like a double which I expected. A 10 gram pull is harder than a 9.4 and a 9.1gram pull....probably overstuffed basket. I will try with lower grams soon but not go below 8 is my guess

If you are a single drinker and dial in and Chase it carefully you could do this process well all the time. Then use that grind setting and jump over to a double with minor preinfusion fiddling.

def (original poster)

#30: Post by def (original poster) »

I got a really good single yesterday with 10 grams (dark roast). I ground pretty fine, and used long preinfusion between 20 and 30 seconds.

Tomorrow I will try B&W The Classic, which is one of my favorite espresso blends. I am hoping to get some good 12 to 15 gram shots out of the LSM double basket. If not, then 18g out of the triple, and I will Also try 10.x grams in the single.