Baskets and dose for LSM group levers - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
espressotime

#11: Post by espressotime » Nov 09, 2019, 5:00 am

truemagellen wrote:That looks great. So how many grams do you estimate?
At my current grinder setting 10.4 grams.

def
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by def » replying to espressotime » Nov 09, 2019, 6:41 am

Hmm, I am perplexed; I had to go all the way down to 6 grams to avoid coffee touching the snap ring that holds in the shower screen. I wonder whether the head space is different between your Pompei and my Leva or we are using are different single baskets. When I tamp, the coffee bed is pushed down nearly to the ridge where the basket begins to taper.

@espressotime -- very nice looking shot BTW. Thank you for the pictures and video.

I just retried the single basket with 10g Italian style espresso, this time with a different pf (single spouted). Impossible to fit in my group without the coffee bed touching the Snap ring. My single basket height is about 25.5mm, and the height from the top of the basket to the top of the tapered region is 15mm.

I believe that there are differences between LSM groups or baskets, but I suspect the group. I do not think that the group gasket is the issue because I cannot even lock my pf all the way into the 6:00 o'clock position. The double LSM basket that I got from EP allows me to dose up to 10 grams. 11 grams hits the clip, yet it is advertised as a 12-18g basket.

espressotime

#13: Post by espressotime » replying to def » Nov 09, 2019, 7:46 am

Ok.
Well I don't care about the snapring.
Of course it touches the puck.But the main central part does not.
This is the max in my machine and the shots turn out great.
No channeling using the naked and the taste is top notch.

espressotime

#14: Post by espressotime » Nov 09, 2019, 8:00 am

This 9 grams.

As you can see still impression of the ring but now the puck doesn't touch the screen.

8 will probably take care of your snapring "problem ".

def
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by def » Nov 09, 2019, 8:11 am

@espressotime -- thank you!! Mystery solved, and I learned something new. I will try with 8,9,10 grams and see how it goes.

Nick111

#16: Post by Nick111 » Nov 09, 2019, 8:44 am

@espressotime,
@def,
thank you both for the thread info.
While you are at it ,what about the groups?
Identical groups or what?

espressotime

#17: Post by espressotime » Nov 09, 2019, 8:57 am

It is the stock LSM group.

chappcc

#18: Post by chappcc » Nov 09, 2019, 9:04 am

@espressotime

Great info on the single basket. I may give it another try.
What extraction ratio are you trying to achieve and how would you rate the taste of a single to a double?
Do you do a quick flush of the screen after each shot?
Would a flat vs conical make any difference in making shots at this dose level? I've read flat burrs produce more of a flat particle vs the conical which produces more of a spherical particle. This affects how the particles pack when tamped.

def
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by def » Nov 09, 2019, 9:08 am

Nick111 wrote:While you are at it ,what about the groups?
Identical groups or what?
I think was wrong and that there is no difference in the headspace of @espressotime's and my group. On the LSM group, there is a cylinder sleeve that is lower than the shower screen. The retainer clip snaps in below the screen. picture below. According to @espressotime, it is OK if the sleeve and clip touch the coffee bed as long as there is some space below the shower screen.

Nick111

#20: Post by Nick111 » Nov 09, 2019, 9:13 am

espressotime wrote:It is the stock LSM group.
thanks for your posts,Leva on its way.