Basket sizes for all-clad presso

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
e61brewski

#1: Post by e61brewski »

so i bought an all-clad presso for the mother, who lives in the barren bush of chad, africa, where electricity and phone lines and internet are all still distant pipe dreams. did the schulman mod, and sent it complete with a farcical instructional video. score one for thoughtful, ocean-removed offspring.

the entire family likes it so much, in fact, that they'd like more baskets -- for rapid pre-loading purposes, when dignitaries, village chiefs, travelers and other luminaries come through with entourages and such.

question is, are the baskets really 53mm, as appears to be noted here? and if so, is anyone in a position to tell me if regular 53mm solis baskets such as this would work?

since i don't have access to either machine, i'm trying to make sure that what i buy actually fits. many thanks.
LMWDP #044
ben.szobody.com

hbuchtel

#2: Post by hbuchtel »

I've also been thinking of buying more baskets, but was planning on getting originals from Cameron, the Australian Importer who is also a member here (username = "PRESSO").

About 53mm and Saeco etc, I don't have a good measuring device but can confirm that the Presso basket fits the Precisia PF which is supposed to be the same as the Saeco/Solis. The lip of the basket is different, flat on the Saeco as opposed to curved on the Presso, but it doesn't seem to matter in terms of getting a good seal. Also the Presso basket holds more, having a flat bottom. ALSO the Presso basket has an indent for the basket spring (holds the basket in the PF) but baskets without it get held pretty firmly as well.

Jim's mod does reduce the amount of air above the piston... but as long as you pour in enough water the air doesn't matter, it just gets compressed!

Henry
LMWDP #53

Advertisement
Knock

#3: Post by Knock »

The Pavoni portafilter fits directly in so the baskets are likely to fit fine too.

Before any one asks I can't say for 100% if that's millenium or older Pavoni, and can't check as the Presso's out flirting with another family! about 75% certan that it was Millenium (larger) filter basket. No spring rim on the Pavoni baskets I've seen though.

good luck,
P.
Peter Kilpatrick

e61brewski (original poster)

#4: Post by e61brewski (original poster) »

i'm not too worried about the spring rim, since the spring actually makes it quite difficult to remove the presso basket. i recommended removal so they could move quicker to keep machine parts warmer.

in the video, you can hear a bit of air escaping the brew chamber when the lever is released at the end of the pull. it's much less, and has a much smaller effect, resulting in far better crema. in my test pulls, it was no contest.

thanks for the tips. it would still be nice if someone could snap a solis basket into the presso pf -- just to be sure.
LMWDP #044
ben.szobody.com

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

The Millenium Pavoni PF and baskets, and the Saeco baskets all work.

A very odd thought -- the Solis restrictor baskets also will fit. If the Presso is unmodded. and the grind or freshness on the coffee are not up to HB standards, these may actually work better.

Please don't spread around that I've recommended a restrictor basket, especially for a lever machine. I'd never hear the end of it :shock:
Jim Schulman

e61brewski (original poster)

#6: Post by e61brewski (original poster) »

indeed, the bush-dwelling family doesn't often have access to the fresh stuff. thanks for the suggestion, jim. but i shan't tell a soul.
LMWDP #044
ben.szobody.com

coffeeprince

#7: Post by coffeeprince »

hbuchtel wrote:I've also been thinking of buying more baskets, but was planning on getting originals from Cameron, the Australian Importer who is also a member here (username = "PRESSO").

About 53mm and Saeco etc, I don't have a good measuring device but can confirm that the Presso basket fits the Precisia PF which is supposed to be the same as the Saeco/Solis. The lip of the basket is different, flat on the Saeco as opposed to curved on the Presso, but it doesn't seem to matter in terms of getting a good seal. Also the Presso basket holds more, having a flat bottom. ALSO the Presso basket has an indent for the basket spring (holds the basket in the PF) but baskets without it get held pretty firmly as well.

Jim's mod does reduce the amount of air above the piston... but as long as you pour in enough water the air doesn't matter, it just gets compressed!

Henry
2 More baskets are on the way Henry.

I've had an identity shift. Locally(Byron Bay, Australia) grown Green bean and wholesale roasting have been added to my suite.

Ha!

Cameron
Australian Beans, roasted to order