Ater Family- Project Done - Page 10

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
tifoso in queens

#91: Post by tifoso in queens »

Earlier we discussed the CEME and SOPAC/Jaeger pstats for this kind of machine. I just replaced the original SOPAC pstat on my Bezzera Family with a new Jaeger 15.01, and it seems good. It has a fairly tight deadband, set currently at 1.2-1.4. It is fairly stable: you can pull a full 25-30 second shot at either end. Interestingly, the hot water dispenser now works properly, at least at this particular setting. It used to mostly dispense steam, at any pressure. I have no idea why this would be the case but now I have hot water.

One other thing is that the Jaeger still has the SOPAC logo on the cover for the adjustment screw.

nirdvorai (original poster)

#92: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) »

Good to know James.
The SOPAC in my Ater was probably 30-40 years old. I was surprise to see it still works, maybe it's one of those "build for life" cases.
Is the new Jaegar feels solid compare to the old one? The SOPAC I took out from the Ater feels very solid and heavy compare to the CEME, like holding steel vs. plastic.

Advertisement
tifoso in queens

#93: Post by tifoso in queens »

To be honest, the SOPAC and Jaeger look identical, other than the Jaeger label. The only difference I can see is that the wiring numbers are different, but the rest of the diagram is identical. The Jaeger is certainly just as heavy as the SOPAC, it feels very solid. Stefano's Espresso, which is where I bought it, says "This pressurestat is considered an upgrade and superior in quality than any other "small" pressurestat."

drgary
Team HB

#94: Post by drgary »

Let's not lose sight that a pressurestat is a fairly generic and interchangeable device. It is less precise than computer control but the metal in the group, boiler and pipes will tend to stabilize temperature while the pressurestat cycles.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

nirdvorai (original poster)

#95: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) »

Finally I can say the project is done! I was waiting 3 weeks for the decal I designed to the back of the machine, in order to preserve the name and logo. The cover came back from powder coat looking great and fresh in orange. This machine is rock!

I want to thank to all of the friends here for the advice and tips. It was a great project and I hope it will be helpful for other people with the same family of machines.

beer&mathematics

#96: Post by beer&mathematics »

Congrats Nir!

Orange looks fantastic and is a unique flavor of it. Hope you love light roast since then the OJ would be fun :) I love very light roasts by the way so it makes me smile :D
LMWDP #431

drgary
Team HB

#97: Post by drgary »

Nir,

Congratulations on a first-rate restoration, right down to the decal, and thank you for sharing it with us in this thread!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
abartholomew
Supporter ♡

#98: Post by abartholomew »

Nir, it is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing, and thanks to Jorge, Dr. Gary, and others for weighing in - by following along, I learned a lot about a machine I have been using & enjoying for a while now. Always grateful for people's willingness to share knowledge and experience here.