Astoria Gloria dipper tube.

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Oskuk

#1: Post by Oskuk »

I have a 2 group version of the theme. Mainly used left group, but when changed the gaskets I made a decision to try to use more both. And of course now I notice a different habits on those:
the right one lets water in when lever is near to all way down, as the left one lets water earlier, and right group also has lesser flow. Therefore I got an idea of check the dipper tube if it has some build up.
So: it there anything to keep in mind when opening the 4 bolts and loosen the group out? Is there a risk that the gasket between group and boiler needs to replaced, as I do not have any.

Oskuk

#2: Post by Oskuk »

Here is the flow on both groups:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSBMJ3VtXQE

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by pizzaman383 »

The point water starts flowing has nothing to do with the dipper tube. Rather, that is determined by how far the piston is threaded on its shaft.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Oskuk

#4: Post by Oskuk »

Yes. That is really well known thing on these gadgets.

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by pizzaman383 »

It does look like something in the water path is restricted or partially blocked in the right hand group. I would start looking in the places you can reach without taking the group off but if you don't find it there do that.
Curtis
LMWDP #551

Oskuk

#6: Post by Oskuk »

I did a bit research when changing the gaskets and cleaning the inner sleeve:
Astoria gets new gaskets

actually i did put a hose to the ball valve inlet and blowed air to the boiler, and the flow of air and after that backwards water to my face was quite hmm watery.

Oskuk

#7: Post by Oskuk »

..but noticed now something strange: my first warming flush had for my surprice nice flow, but second bad. Then I did those fellinis and yes it changes, the flow. I have at least to get the piston out and check the new gaskets...

Oskuk

#8: Post by Oskuk »

OK. I got my group open, noticed a bit metal scrathing, hammered spring away, changed one gasket to blue one, if it is a bit sturdier? Cleaned all
-but the main thing: why flow is slow. That I did not get. Cleaned the valve ball and cap, blowed some air to the boiler again, got wet face, again, some grease and all in...and it works ok!
Dunno why, but nice that it does so!

Here we go again:

What you say about this, Sherry?

Here is the metal marks, and I measured the point where the water holes are (did not make me clever):

After lowering the spring:

Cleaned and blue boy came along:

The O-ring also starring, but not in the pic:

More stupidity:

No plenty more to do:

but test coffee! Not any spring-noise and a good flow etc:

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by pizzaman383 »

I think your group heads have a removable sleeve. If so, you could pull the sleeve and look for blockages.
Curtis
LMWDP #551

Oskuk

#10: Post by Oskuk »

pizzaman383 wrote:I think your group heads have a removable sleeve. If so, you could pull the sleeve and look for blockages.
Yes, as I just said:
Oskuk wrote:I did a bit research when changing the gaskets and cleaning the inner sleeve:
Astoria gets new gaskets
...and anyway: it is working now, as I just said too ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZFBdGXwJuY