The Arrarex Caravel - Page 242

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Jeff
Team HB

#2411: Post by Jeff »

Still nearly 100 posts to go, but add a VAM 1.0 (no-hole piston) in gray from Francesco to the list of transports.

Mine came with a roughly 27 mm deep basket with two dimples and an original PF handle. Most of the S/S parts, including the dosing spoon, have the VAM mark on them (I didn't notice it on the basket). I've got the Sophie's PF handle on the way (thanks to a very helpful member in Germany for re-shipping it for me) as well as a pair of Brooks' baskets. Thanks to Armindillo's suggestions, I've got a couple sintered-mesh screens already in hand.

I've got to "tune" the spring/thermostat scheme as local boil here is 208°F / 98°C and, at the coolest setting, it is not reliably cutting out.

As I've got the ceramic-bead insulation, I'm about to order some silicone-insulated wire. UL 3135 (600 V, 200°C) and UL 3239 (3kV or so, 200°C) seem to be available on eBay in 1, 3, or 5 meter lengths at a reasonable price. I can't use PTFE due to owning a parrot (the outgassing fumes can quickly kill them, even in other parts of the house).

If someone sees this and knows, can you confirm that 16 AWG wire fit the terminal block?

armindillo

#2412: Post by armindillo »

I love the ceramic bead insulation. To me it's just another example of the VAM machines being higher quality than the Caravels. I'm not sure why people are in such a rush to replace it. Also I wonder if 200C is enough for a wire that connects to the heating element.
On the other hand, the insulation on the wires going to the lamp is often really bad on the old VAM machines, but I'm sure Francesco would never send out a machine with bad wiring.

I do believe that 16ga wire fits in the terminal block. I have 14ga wire for the power cords on some of my machines.
LMWDP #667

Jeff
Team HB

#2413: Post by Jeff »

The machine was received in excellent condition, ready to run.

On the wiring, it's a personal choice of mine. For better or for worse, I'm an EE by training and cut my teeth on amateur radio tube gear of the 50s and 60s. One smack from even a 600 V plate supply and you tend to give power circuits a bit more respect.

Here's the obligatory first shot photo.

A medium-light Colombian roasted by LeverCraft. Ground way too fine (though would have been a fast shot on the DE1).

redbone

#2414: Post by redbone »

Can confirm that 14awg with work as I also went with 14awg silicone wiring except for indicator light.
The Arrarex Caravel
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549
★ Helpful

BAEvans

#2415: Post by BAEvans »

Caravel cognoscenti:
Pulled my early caravel (?1.1) out because I broke a drainage tube connector on my faithful linea mini that requires too much disassembly to get at for my skills so it needs to go to the doctor and I won't be able to do that for a while.

For the life of me I can't recall how to successfully pull the piston out to check the seals. Likely need to be lubricated after prolonged non-use.
How to position the lever and disconnect it, etc. some step by step instructions to pull and replace would be helpful. I recall it being easy but something blocks it coming out.

Jeff
Team HB

#2416: Post by Jeff »

I'm far from a cognoscenti, as still in the early enthusiast space.

Removing the lever arm on a Caravel v1.1 with its round arms seems to be at any angle, at least with the one in front of me.

A VAM, with its oval arms seems to need to be at the right place, arm fully raised in my case.

On the piston, the top cap rotates clockwise, pulling inward the two pins that hold it to the top of the cylinder. One of mine is really sticky, the other works with fingers. Once that is released, the piston assembly should slide up and out of the cylinder.

Great illustrations of the various models, including breakdowns, can be found at http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/m_arrarex_eng.htm and the pages following.

daveyb

#2417: Post by daveyb »

Hi from across the water. I have had a few Caravels over the years, and have had this one for a couple of years now. When it arrived I took it to parts to inspect the seals and the impression I got was that it had pulled a couple of shots, then been put away. Virtually no coffee residue at all. I kept it because it has the original box and I do not suppose there are too many of those still knocking around!

TomC
Team HB

#2418: Post by TomC »

Beautiful red David! Nice score!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

BAEvans

#2419: Post by BAEvans »

Thanks Jeff
Piston out, cleaned, seals lubed and back in.