The Arrarex Caravel - Page 238

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
gravy

#2371: Post by gravy »

Hi again mega thread followers. I've posted a separate thread here

viewtopic.php?t=77821

Tldr:
1. Acaia Pixys scales fit the Caravel drip tray.
2.I've just started using a puck screen on my Caravel and have made the tentative conclusion that puck screens are a must for these devices. Bold conclusion I know. Let me know your thoughts.

gravy

#2372: Post by gravy »

A question for the poster above : why is a convex tamper desirable for the Caravel?

Advertisement
gravy

#2373: Post by gravy »

One for the megathread followers...

peacecup (original poster)

#2374: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Nice video! I think I'll dig out my VAM for the pm 'spro after watching that. I run it as a pourover becasue I've not had time to do a proper restoration, but it still pulls nice shots.

With the VAM I've never been able to reproduce the exquisite shots I got mogo's original Caravel. I attribute this mostly to the fact that I am using a modified straight-walled Ponte Vecchio basket instead of the original tapered VAM basket. I suppose the designers knew exactly what they were doing in tapering the basket to increase brew pressure just enough given the piston diameter and potential force being applied.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

gravy

#2375: Post by gravy »

I would only be guessing but I suppose it's possible. Now I am almost half a decade into my Caravel journey I find I can get excellent pressure easily. A better grinder might be helping. I haven't lost a small gasket yet on my 1.2 model whereas I lost them often on my other machines (a Caravel 2.0 and a 3.1).

Brooks are still selling aftermarket double baskets
https://brooks-espressomachines.com/en/ ... basket-set

cidadao

#2376: Post by cidadao »

For those of you who swapped out the heating element to 110v - would a European to US outlet adapter be sufficient or do the cord/other internal components need to be swapped out too? Pardon my ignorance.

NicoNYC

#2377: Post by NicoNYC »

I haven't replaced the element in mine yet, but I've had it open a few times for other work.

You won't have to replace anything for it to work. I'd be sure to check the condition of the internal wiring and make sure the insulation is intact and pliable. I think some early VAMs used ceramic insulated wire, I'd replace that with some appropriate new wire - fabric covered or hi-temp plastic/silicone.

Also, make sure the adapter you get includes the Italian center ground pin. German/French plugs have a different ground and you really don't want to mess around with an ungrounded metal appliance - especially one full of water! Another option is to swap in a US cord of your choosing.
LMWDP #718

Advertisement
cidadao

#2378: Post by cidadao »

A thousand thanks - if I'm understanding you correctly, switching out the element will not require further rewiring provided that everything is in a good state of repair to begin with? The Arrarex I am looking into - a 1.1 or 1.2. - does not have the three-pronged Italian plug, but the Euro-plug with a smaller yellow insulated wire connecting to the chord, as in the photos on Francesco's website. Any idea what this is? Obviously will need to get a bit more electrical awareness before doing any work on this myself, but curious as to the easiest way to run this thing safely and efficiently.

NicoNYC

#2379: Post by NicoNYC »

Correct. The light on the front will not be as bright as when it's on 220, but it is visible nonetheless and the filament will last forever on half voltage.

The plug you're talking about is an Italian plug, I think type L. That's what my v1.1 Caravel came with though I've since swapped it for a US 220V plug and squirreled away the original for posterity. They take a ground prong that unscrews, and the small wire also serves as a ground.
LMWDP #718

cidadao

#2380: Post by cidadao »

Thank you so much, NicoNYC.

Does anyone know of a vintage-looking (perhaps cloth-covered) rewire kit with ground? The only option I've turned up is way too long for my purposes, at 8 feet. Would be curious to know what other folks are using for their rewires.