The Arrarex Caravel - Page 222

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mrak

#2211: Post by mrak »

Yes, that's the one! Thanks for pointing to the right direction - eBay Italy definitely does have a lot of parts for Caravel.

With a double basket, the maximum output that I can get with the single pull is about 17 gr. That's works well for a ristretto.
However, with the blends that call for more output and therefore for the double pull, I can't get a good result - doesn't matter what I do, it is always some channeling/uneven extraction on the second pull. That's a significant restriction - being able to use only blends that good for ristretto!. And that's why I am looking for a single basket.
Does anybody else have the same issue?

SimonPatrice

#2212: Post by SimonPatrice replying to mrak »

It's been a while since I've used the Caravel but te maximum output I could get was between 19 and 20 gr. I started with 12 gr. in, did some partial pumps to get rid of the air. When there would be no more gurgling sound, I would slowly lower the lever until I felt some resistance and hold it there for around 7 seconds. I Would then pull the lever all the way down. So with the lower dose and with air out of the way, I was able to get around a 1.6 ratio. That's still a pretty tight shot but way longer than when I would have 15 gr. in 18 gr. out.

But I do understand wanting the single baskets for blends that like a longer shot. I started experimenting with the single basket on the MCAL as I could never achieve a 1:2 ratio with the double basket unless I did a 1 1/3 pull which resulted in not so great a shot. If you get you hands on the single basket, tell us how it's working for you on the Caravel.
Patrice
LMWDP #428

mrak

#2213: Post by mrak »

Thank you, Patrice. I followed your suggestion about partial pumps during preinfusion to get rid of air and it worked well - I was able to increase output from 17 gr to over 19 gr.

SimonPatrice

#2214: Post by SimonPatrice replying to mrak »

I'm happy it worked out!
Patrice
LMWDP #428

pootoogoo

#2215: Post by pootoogoo »

That's also what I do: do few lever up and down (~3-4, from up to some resistance) during the pre-infusion phase to get rid of the air. I'm getting 21 to 25g of espresso out of ~14g of grounded coffee... and it's a pleasure every time. :wink:

Seacoffee

#2216: Post by Seacoffee »

I do the same

[creative nickname]

#2217: Post by [creative nickname] »

I was lucky enough to get a single basket bundled with the first Caravel I purchased (on Italian ebay). It is still my preferred basket for most coffees! I prefer the double only for roasts that are quite dark.
LMWDP #435

redbone

#2218: Post by redbone »

Anyone try using a half or small paper coffee filter on top to the basket during a pull.

I found that this prevents the puck from cracking on second pulls. Pull up slowly also.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

crazy4espresso

#2219: Post by crazy4espresso »

Here is my latest acquisition! Great to finally be part of the VAM family. This appears to be a very early model, characterized by the piston with no hole, so a version 1.0, according to Francesco, but it features the "Export" characteristics. It does not say that it is for export on the base, as we've seen before though. I love the brass accents and the copper plated aluminum base? The lever arm, beautifully contoured, has a very precise fit onto the piston assembly, as it only goes in one way, so no mistake can be made. She'll be receiving some new feet soon, and hopefully a pilot light, as the poor packaging job ensured it was smashed during it's long journey from the home land. If anyone happens to have a spare OEM one, let me know!
Soon, sweet heavenly elixir will be pouring from this magnificent little machine once more!
I do not know when Mr Emidio Salati passed on, but I'm sure he'd be very proud to know how endeared his little creation is the world over. I think this thread is a testament to that!

"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

cuppajoe

#2220: Post by cuppajoe »

Nice VAM, I had been watching it as well. Good looking machine and appears to be an early v.1, especially with the 6 suction cup feet. Too bad about the damage, drop Francesco a line and he may be able to set you up.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits