Announced: Argos lever espresso machine by Odyssey Espresso - Page 45

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
bgn

#441: Post by bgn »

Hmm. Amberale do you mean non-North American certification? Hoping Canada is the same as US.

Amberale

#442: Post by Amberale »

I'm not sure.
I think USA/CA are covered under the same details.
Other countries have more/less strict guidelines.
Apparently Australian compliance is a PITA.

Ah_J

#443: Post by Ah_J »

Amberale wrote:The piston has a ball valve which allows the removal of air from the chamber preventing "sponginess".
If I recall correctly, at the time this was taken, Ross was still finalising the valve used and the "jiggle" was to remove the air.

Unfortunately, non-US certification is going to take up to an extra month so I will be waiting a while yet.
thanks for sharing and so those few samples under certification process are having ball-valve ?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#444: Post by baldheadracing »

Canada is not the same as the USA, but it is possible for one certification process to be valid in both countries.

The laws regarding requirements for certification vary by juridiction in Canada. Interested Canadian posters should consult the laws for their province/territory; e.g., here are the electrical marks recognized in Ontario: https://esasafe.com/electrical-products ... ion-marks/ (Please note Home-Barista is not a legal advice forum.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Amberale

#445: Post by Amberale »

Hi Stanley, they all have the ball valve.
Now that the design is finalised no jiggling should be required.

The certification process is mainly around the electrical components and varies from country to country.

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#446: Post by Shakespeare »

Should we have heard from Ross Ainsworth. I was looking forward to additional updates regarding Odyssey Espresso Argos development.
If there is still ongoing delays in the top & bottom plate shipping and the CE certification.
Have we moved on from those situations. Any closer to the first initial devices shipping for analysis or review.
I'm assuming there are certain individuals here that could share some information.

shotwell

#447: Post by shotwell »

Ross posted the other day over in discord showing the arrival of powder coated top and bottom plates, which I think is what you're referring to.

He has mentioned a few things off and on regarding CE certification, which is ongoing and seems to be progressing. Afaik the electrical side is all sorted for North America, but I'm not sure how much is left to do.

JonTheFisherman
Supporter

#448: Post by JonTheFisherman »

Hi all, I have just found out about this machine a couple of weeks ago and am very interested in. There are two things I am still not clear about:

1) If you pick, say the 8 bar option, does it mean you can also remove the spring and use it as direct pressure machine (sort of like Europiccola)?

2) It has PID and it is controlled by a knob on the side, right?

3) Without the transducer add-on, can you still use the Odyssey app to monitor temperature in the machine (as far I saw, it shows it in different part of the machine like in boiler and in grouphead)?

Thanks!

Amberale

#449: Post by Amberale »

Yes, Yes and Yes.

GregoryJ

#450: Post by GregoryJ »

JonTheFisherman wrote: 2) It has PID and it is controlled by a knob on the side, right?
Yes, but different than your typical espresso machine. Instead of trying to keep the boiler at a constant temperature, it tries to get the grouphead water to a target temperature. So if the group is colder it will make the boiler hotter.