Announced: Argos lever espresso machine by Odyssey Espresso - Page 15

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
toolate

#141: Post by toolate »

that checklist sounds to me like we are at least 6 months away from delivery

bgn

#142: Post by bgn replying to toolate »

I thought the same after reading it and mentally prepared for Fall/Winter instead of Spring/Summer. It's good to have low expectations and allow for the possibility of pleasant surprises.

parkerto

#143: Post by parkerto »

I just bought my Argos Espresso Machine! Pressure gauge (manual), default to 8 bar spring and bought the 6 bar spring option as well as the quick change piston. May go with digital pressure through the app later, but right now I want to learn and refine the craft when the machine arrives in a more traditional way. Longtime coffee enthusiast with a pour over bar. I am basically happy with. Have had various espresso machines over the years that have frustrated. Most recently, I had flair lever (one of the basic ones not the 58) and ebayed it because I got disenchanted with the workflow. So here is the question: any advice on YouTube or forum tutorials on profiling/recipes for the three variations we will be able to do with this argos machine: 6 bar spring, 8 bar spring, full manual? I want to use the time from now until the machine arrives to learn about the machine more so I can try and be ready. I know hand on lever is going to be the real teacher, but learning the nuance between the different options between spring and no spring is of interest to me.

renatoa

#144: Post by renatoa »

This profiling theory should apply to Argos too:

renatoa

#145: Post by renatoa »

Workflow

aonphleacs

#146: Post by aonphleacs »

I'm very excited to see that workflow video. Looks exactly like what I had envisioned. Can't wait for units to start shipping x3

LObin

#147: Post by LObin »

So... The Argo reaches equilibrium with only a 5 minutes warm up? I get that there are cartridges, a pid and a 1000w heating element in a relatively small boiler (600ml) but still... 5 minutes is not a lot for a stainless group, piston and shower screen to get up to temp.

And that portafilter is at best at room temperature...

I know it's just a video and it doesn't necessarily represent every future owners workflow... But I find that overall, they've been a little careless with their videos. From the incomplete machines, the wonky steam assembly to the "average guy" coffee mugs... Let's just say I'm really looking forward to the first reviews.
Hopefully they'll remove some of the doubts these videos have created for me.

"Need to grind coarser for the next shot"...
"Getting there..."
"1:56 warm up"

I trust that Ross will deliver but again, the videos create more questions than answers, for me.
LMWDP #592

GregoryJ

#148: Post by GregoryJ »

Hi L0bin, as I understand it the group hasn't reached a steady state temperature. It is a little cool and the boiler compensates with a higher temperature. As the group head gets hotter, the boiler will reduce temperature.

LObin

#149: Post by LObin replying to GregoryJ »

Thanks for the info Gregory. I remember reading about this now but from my understanding this will allow the water above the puck to reach a pre set initial and probably, peak extraction temperature. It's then safe to assume that this will result in quite a declining intra-shot temperature curve. Certainly more than you would get with let's say a group at 94C and a extraction water temperature set to 94C (with a preset offset).

This could be bad or actually quite alright. Gen 2 La Pavoni's have a big intra-shot temperature drop and can pull stellar shots. But even then, I still make sure the piston, grouphead, shower screen and portafilter are hot before pulling a shot.
LMWDP #592

Jonk

#150: Post by Jonk »

I'd imagine the temperature drop to be more in line with a Robot that hasn't been pre-heated. Could be just fine and certainly easier to work with than a Pavoni.. But if you want the best possible temperature stability go for an open/saturated boiler or something that can compensate like DE1.