Aram coffee maker - Page 7

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
LewBK

#61: Post by LewBK »

kantx wrote:
I'm perplexed with the Aram. Love the unit (I have V.2, bought 10 days ago). Still, even very fine grind obtained with Comandante yield not the kind od cream I can see on several videos. I do all the pre-heating / pre-infusion stuff. I tried 22 turns or less, I varied speed, still I obtain a descent coffee without almost any cream at best, and sometimes something more like a filter coffey machine. Any insight from any of you ?
I would recommend buying a Red Clix for the Comandante or using a different grinder as the Comandante is not ideal for espresso as it is difficult to dial-in accurately without the finer adjustments allowed with Red Clix. i have gotten good crema and shots from the Aram using a Kinu m47 and fresh beans.

LewBK

#62: Post by LewBK »

LewBK wrote:I would recommend buying a Red Clix for the Comandante or using a different grinder as the Comandante is not ideal for espresso as it is difficult to dial-in accurately without the finer adjustments allowed with Red Clix. I have gotten good crema and shots from the Aram using a Kinu m47 and fresh beans.

kantx

#63: Post by kantx »

Carneiro wrote:I have to ask... Is the coffee fresh (and not so lightly roasted)?

I just used the Aram for the first time today, my friend Santiago brought me his unit to test it. First shot was a little bit fast but with a lot of crema. Second was slower and dense.

I pre heated 2 times and I think the temperature was spot on. I used 15g and 16g.
Thank you. Coffee is freshly grounded just before the shot. Lightly grounded.
In my experience, if it's coarser, extraction will be too watery.

Do you mean it should be slower ?

kantx

#64: Post by kantx »

LewBK wrote:I would recommend buying a Red Clix for the Comandante or using a different grinder as the Comandante is not ideal for espresso as it is difficult to dial-in accurately without the finer adjustments allowed with Red Clix. i have gotten good crema and shots from the Aram using a Kinu m47 and fresh beans.
Thank you. I also use a Fiorenzato Nano F4E.

Carneiro

#65: Post by Carneiro »

Yes, too fast and you'll have no crema. But this could be a signal of stale coffee as well, that's why I asked about the roast date (specially if it's a light roast) - sorry if I made the question not so clear.

kantx

#66: Post by kantx replying to Carneiro »

All my coffee is less than 15 days old and kept in special boxes or pouches. Mostly dark.

kantx

#67: Post by kantx »

Izona wrote:Hey there !

I recently bought the aram, and I can't find the right settings (wasted around 20 espressos beans trying to make a good one, failed !)

Note that I'm new to world of espresso, I only did pour over before (v60 / chemex).

I bought a sette 270 to avoid using aergrind for espressos grinding

I tried many parameter, but the espresso is always wayyy too bitter, but there is so much parameters (strengh in pushing the tamper, grind settings, Water temp, speed turning) that I can''t find a way to solve this.

I mainly use water temp 92-95°, using 20-22g for 28 turns, my Sette settings I tried between 9E (lots of resistance) -> 11, tried to push the tamper a lot or just a little to dispatch easily.

I've also seen that in the notice, Aram says that you can turn quick at the start then slow down when there is resistance,
However i've seen a videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3jWtmjo-rA in which they turn at the same speed up and down, even thought resistance (they also say that's the best way of doing it, applyin the same pressure).

I'm seeking help from the users of aram :), which are your settings, and what's your processes, any pro-tips ?

Thanks !
Same here. I tried several modes, like you, and the best I got was a rather bitter espresso, without any crema. Two pre-heatings. Coffee is fresh, grounded with Comandante (very fine setting) then with Fiorenzato F4E Nano.

truemagellen

#68: Post by truemagellen »

I wonder if someone used a digital torque adapter or ditital torque wrench to chart pressure and then use that to deliver a tapering profiled shot.

LewBK

#69: Post by LewBK »

I would experiment for a while with different grinds and different beans first, but here are a few tweaks I've made equipment wise that I think have helped:
Replaced basket: https://www.chriscoffee.com/products/la ... rt-baskets
Coffee Leveler for spaziale size 53.5mm: https://www.etsy.com/listing/748609713/ ... ch_click=1
Levy Tamp 53.5mm: https://clivecoffee.com/products/saint- ... -levy-tamp This tamper is overpriced, but I got one used for less. A cheap Chinese knockoff might work as well. But I wouldn't buy any of this stuff before experimenting with other things first.
Scale with timer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MQ ... UTF8&psc=1 This is actually important. I try to aim for only 30 to 40 second shots as if you go longer you can get a bitter result. So I actually adjust my grind-size by the output time. If the shot is complete before 30 seconds and the turning is too easy, the pressure's too low. If takes a lot longer than 40 seconds to turn the shot, pressure's too high. There are probably better ways of doing this, but it's worked for me.

santiagoluz

#70: Post by santiagoluz »

kantx wrote:I'm perplexed with the Aram.
Love the unit (I have V.2, bought 10 days ago).
Still, even very fine grind obtained with Comandante yield not the kind od cream I can see on several videos.
I do all the pre-heating / pre-infusion stuff.
I tried 22 turns or less, I varied speed, still I obtain a descent coffee without almost any cream at best, and sometimes
something more like a filter coffey machine.
Any insight from any of you ?
I would suggest you to grind even finer. I use Comandante and Aram or Robot at daily basis. Even though I have Redclix, I don't think it's mandatory. With Redclix you're able to fine tune extraction, but in a manual espresso machine, it's not that important. And you can change dose by 0.5g to overcome this limitation. Again, I suggest you to try finer grind size. It would take a minute or so to grind 15g to espresso. It's easy to crank it up but it takes time. Let us know the results.