Any way to prevent portafilter from popping off on Elektra Microcasa a Leva?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
boren

#1: Post by boren »

I created a thread in the past about this issue but nothing helped. Currently I'm using the machine as a (very expensive) milk steam and brewing with a Flair Espresso Maker. Is my MCaL destined to be nothing more than a milk steamer, or is there something I could actually do to fix it?

number9

#2: Post by number9 »

Without being there, there is no way to tell why it is really coming loose... My McAL used to do that too. I can offer only
these observations:
  • Ensure your group to portafilter gasket is clean.
  • Ensure your portafilter top ridge is clean.
  • Are you locking it in tightly (this was my problem, I was scared to put it too tight). Remember, it is only friction holding it in.
  • Is your grouphead pressure too high (e.g. are you grinding too fine?)
You should be able to rule out the last note with a measurement of your extraction volume vs time.

Again, mine came off a few times in the beginning. At first, I just held the portafilter with one hand and pulled the lever
with the other hand. I mean, you are not going to steam milk while it is extracting. After a while, I noted that when I put it on
tightly (I mean tight), it did not come off in my hand again. Since then, I have never held it while extracting a shot.

Let me define tight. I have to hold the base of the McAL while tightening it, or it will turn the machine. I tighten mine
right up to that point where I am forcefully holding the machine down on the counter thinking "this is obviously too tight".
That's about the right spot.

Hope that helps some.

boren (original poster)

#3: Post by boren (original poster) »

I was actually steaming while brewing in the first 5 years I had the machine, and didn't have any issues.

I like your description about getting to the right tightness. I'll try that and will also follow your other suggestions.

Thank you so much!

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

Why not just hold the portafilter handle during the pull?
Scott
LMWDP #248

boren (original poster)

#5: Post by boren (original poster) »

I prefer to have both hands free while brewing so that I can steam the milk without having to wait for the shot to finish.

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner replying to boren »

Only saves 30 seconds!
Scott
LMWDP #248

Antonee

#7: Post by Antonee »

I also had an issue with the portafilter popping off in the first month I owned it. I started tightening the portafilter way more (holding down the base as described in a previous post). Haven't had the issue since.

DJF

#8: Post by DJF »

How old and used is this cranky Elektra? Apart from badly worn lugs or head the only reasons the P/F will/might pop out is a worn or wrong gasket or not being in tight enough. Can you try another portafilter?

Just as an aside. I had a Semiautomatica that did the same thing. It also had an o-ring type gasket which looked and felt fine but problem solved by replacing it with a new gasket.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

boren (original poster)

#9: Post by boren (original poster) »

I bought the machine 7 years ago and the problem started 2 years ago. The gaskets were replaced, but this only helped for a limited time. Maybe I should look for wider/thicker gaskets that use the same diameter (to increase friction)?

peacecup

#10: Post by peacecup »

I have had the problem with my Sama, and I also like to steam while the shot is pouring. A new gasket should help. If not, you may need a thicker one.

But I also now usually hold the pf at the start of the shot, and begin steaming once the shot is about half done.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."