Any Questions to Ask Chris Cara? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Two more nice posts. Yes, I've wondered too why no one is manufacturing simple lever machines.

And thanks, Cherie for the photo of part of the collectibles shelf in back. I'm pretty new to this and wonder why it's almost all us guys on these espresso sites. Should we start another thread in the Knockbox forum about why we're so into this espresso thing and women generally aren't, often to the point of marital strife that we actually want to spend real money on espresso gear? At Blue Bottle, there are as many or more women baristas as men. And women surely love gourmet cooking and foods. One of our friends, a truly great cook, was all enthused about the kitchen she was putting in and ecstatic about her new Viking stove. Has this ground already been covered? Do we dare to tread it? :shock:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

doubleOsoul

#12: Post by doubleOsoul »

drgary,
You're welcome. I have a few more shots of the place that I enjoy.
I wish there were more women on here too but sometimes it's a little cold as I mentioned before. I don't let it stop me from posting but I'm fair certain it stops others.
I started out with high end kitchen equipment (hobart mixer, Robot Coupe food processor, Vitamix Blender, etc) which lead to a natural progression of espresso machines so your assertion is correct.
I understand about the 'strife' thing. I get heat from my family (mom, son, friends)... "Do you really need another lever"? 8)

doubleOsoul

#13: Post by doubleOsoul »

Here's a another machine displayed at the Cara shop. Pretty, no?

espressme

#14: Post by espressme »

CoffeeOwl wrote:I wish very much someone started manufatcuring simple lever machines like Caravel and La Peppina. Soon there will be none left second hand. Maybe that's a good question to ask - why nobody does it yet.
Hello Pawel,
The main reasons, in my opinion, that no-one seems to be making small quality lever machines may be that the users do not have the time or inclination to use them. The LMWDP not included!! Also, the lawyers have driven injury compensations and damage awards out of sight in the last thirty years. A small specialty espresso machine company cannot afford to buy enough insurance when the costs of manufacturing have become outrageous. A La Peppina with its notably shaky base could be a lawyer's dream. In the US, getting a product to market may be a many year job and getting it certified by UL and CSA would break a small manufacturer. I would guess from my past experiences that getting a product to market would cost on the average of a half million dollars. And it would be knocked off in about 6 months by a machine similar but not exactly so which would use the original as a guide for design and safety certification.
One of the criteria for heated machines is that no part accessible to touch may be over 150°/65.5°C, and that is one of the simplest rules....So you can guess what tricks may be used in preparing a machine for testing>>>

On that note, I am amazed that the Mypressi has made it to market and done as well as it has. That took a great deal of money and engineering talent.
richard penney LMWDP #090,

KnowGood

#15: Post by KnowGood »

drgary wrote:Should we start another thread in the Knockbox forum about why we're so into this espresso thing and women generally aren't
It's not espressos and espresso machines that they aren't into, it's the internet. I don't think a lot of women are into hanging out on forums arguing with people about this and that.
Lyndon
_________
LMWDP #251

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#16: Post by drgary (original poster) »

What about FaceBook, which is now second in ranking only to "the" Google? (sorry W ...) I counsel young women and men, and all seem as enamored of tracking each other through social networking.
Gary
LMWDP#308

KnowGood

#17: Post by KnowGood replying to drgary »

My friend is an O.P.P. officer (Ontario Provincial Police) and he says that 70-80% of the calls he responds to are domestics resulting from FaceBook. Either adding old flames, or they think they are cheating.

To put this thread back on topic how about we ask Chris what he thinks about the internet and how everyone is an "expert" these days on making espresso - including myself. ;)
Lyndon
_________
LMWDP #251

CoffeeOwl

#18: Post by CoffeeOwl »

Good idea for a question, the last one!

Thanks Richard for your explanation, I think it is likely that there is market for such simple machines, providing their correct pricing, advertising, information. Yet what you further wrote - eye opener for me, thank you!

There are women into espresso, god bless them! :D I hope many more happen to participate on internet forums and that they're safe with that and their espresso passion and interest.

Maybe another good question could be about coffee - what is his most memorable experience related to coffee, espresso or machines?
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#19: Post by drgary (original poster) »

In our brief visit, when I asked Chris about how to achieve clarity of flavor in a shot, he said "it's the coffee"!
Gary
LMWDP#308

jn_nz

#20: Post by jn_nz »

OT: I'm a 'she' but I agree I don't see many others on here (I hate to women bash though.. but maybe that's a good thing" :lol: ) I wonder if you're left-handed doubleOsoul I have a theory....