(Another) Sleeve stuck on piston - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Marcelnl »

how about making a jig with some wood and threaded rods and nuts with large washers? stick the sleeve (protected) in a vice and slowly work the nuts upwards?
LMWDP #483

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by pizzaman383 »

JohnB. wrote:Based on my recent experience & Roberta's advice I'd suggest removing the group casting from the machine every couple years & inspecting the water flow areas from the reservoir through to the inner group.

Since I bought this machine used in 2014 I have no idea what water was run through it the first 3 years. Maybe this started back then & slowly built up. We'll see as I plan to inspect these areas in a year to see if there is any new buildup.
Given that, I suggest that you inspect the inner chromed surface of the sleeve.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. » replying to pizzaman383 »

I had the group stripped so I inspected every surface of the group. I assume you mean the plated group bore, not the sleeve.

The vinegar removed the deposits. Before reinstalling the sleeve I applied some food safe grease to this area to help protect it in the future.
LMWDP 267

EddyQ

#14: Post by EddyQ »

Marcelnl wrote:how about making a jig with some wood
Recently I had my sleeves very stuck on the piston due to using an oring with new Cafelat silicone gaskets. I found by leaving the sleeve in the group and prying by pulling the lever got it most the way. But the last bit I needed a spacer between the spring assembly and the sleeve. I used various thicknesses of wood while pulling the lever to get it. Overall, I think there must be a better way. Maybe a PVC spacer piece that I could have used. Hopefully with it now fixed, I won't get it stuck quite so badly and I could simply do what JohnB did.

I must admit, pulling the lever with no screws installed is a bit scary. But it seems to have strong forces in directions that won't create flying objects. But I could be wrong. Be careful!
LMWDP #671

Balthazar_B (original poster)

#15: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:There are 2 different sleeve o'rings. Use the following part numbers when ordering from Roberta:
Black Upper sleeve o'ring #R210 (mounts on sleeve)
Red Lower sleeve o'ring #R215 (sets in the groove on group casting just above the group pf seal area)
Brown Flange O'ring #R240 (goes between 4 bolt group flange & reservoir casting)
Both of the sleeve-related O-rings on my machine are black, the one in the pic up above, as well as the one in the groove on the group.
Be very careful if you clamp the sleeve in a vice. It's thin & brass; easily cracked or distorted.
I hear ya! I want mainly to just hold it enough so that the flared portion won't slip against the edges of the vise jaws. And then tap lightly enough so as not to distort the flares while hopefully overcoming the resistance of the piston seals.
I held the sleeve with my hand & locked down the lever, then released it. This moved the piston up in the sleeve far enough so that I could wiggle it out.
Tried this but the piston moved nary a millimeter.
- John

LMWDP # 577

#16: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:Since I bought this machine used in 2014 I have no idea what water was run through it the first 3 years. Maybe this started back then & slowly built up. We'll see as I plan to inspect these areas in a year to see if there is any new buildup.
Looks like someone ran untreated water from Phoenix through that thing for three years! Water there is hard enough to deposit scale on gold fillings.
- John

LMWDP # 577

#17: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

Marcelnl wrote:how about making a jig with some wood and threaded rods and nuts with large washers? stick the sleeve (protected) in a vice and slowly work the nuts upwards?
Marcel, that's a great idea. Not sure I'm visualizing how multiple rods come into play, though. Wouldn't you need just one maybe 2 cm in diameter, with fairly fine threading (so long as it's centered)?

In any event, I don't have the tools or materials on hand to rig something like that up properly. But thanks for the suggestion!
- John

LMWDP # 577

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza

#18: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

EddyQ wrote: I must admit, pulling the lever with no screws installed is a bit scary. But it seems to have strong forces in directions that won't create flying objects. But I could be wrong. Be careful!
I wasn't too concerned after I saw Paul Pratt do it. Take a look at 2:00 minutes into the video. But yes, you need to keep a firm grip on the lever. Wish my piston had come out that cleanly!!

- John

LMWDP # 577

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by JohnB. »

Balthazar_B wrote:Both of the sleeve-related O-rings on my machine are black, the one in the pic up above, as well as the one in the groove on the group.
That's probably what I will get from Roberta then. In 2011 it was red.

Tried this but the piston moved nary a millimeter.
Put it back in the group & see if that helps at all. You could slip a piece of wood (or?) between the top of the sleeve & the upper casting before setting it in the group so the sleeve didn't move with the piston.
LMWDP 267

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by pizzaman383 »

JohnB. wrote:I had the group stripped so I inspected every surface of the group. I assume you mean the plated group bore, not the sleeve.
Actually, I meant the sleeve.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”