Another Gaggia Achille info request

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sophiesbar

Postby sophiesbar » Aug 03, 2018, 12:33 am

Having owned and extensively used this great little machine for eleven plus years...this morning the RCD tripped supplying power to the Gaggia :(
The element has finally given up. Anybody know of a new 230 Volt boiler assly #8318001000 available? Or someone close to home (New Zealand) that has a previously working machine they want to part with.
Would love to keep it running. Thanks Craig
Craig LMWDP #127

sophiesbar

Postby sophiesbar » Aug 09, 2018, 2:57 am

Seems the element has not blown as such. The Achille functions perfectly on a non RCD protected circuit, but registers a .32M ohm leakage between the phase OR neutral and earth. So the elements life is limited.
Craig LMWDP #127

sophiesbar

Postby sophiesbar » Mar 24, 2019, 2:04 am

The Achille lives on.... The element did finally give up.
The only solution was to cut the boiler through the existing weld line with a hack-saw. leaving a gap of about 2mm. Extract the old element, replace with a new 1300 watt element and re-weld the boiler.
Like new again! The espresso this little beauty produces is gorgeous. Looking forward to another decade or more of coffee making with this Gaggia.
Craig LMWDP #127

Coffeechap

Postby Coffeechap » Mar 24, 2019, 5:18 am

Fantastic that you kept it alive, my mate is currently redoing all the pipe work in copper and just correcting the flaws I. The machine, which will make it more robust and less prone to leaks
levers levers levers, is there any other way?

guijan12

Postby guijan12 » Mar 24, 2019, 5:46 am

Good to hear. :D
Enjoy your machine! :lol:
Regards,

Guido

sophiesbar

Postby sophiesbar » Mar 24, 2019, 9:08 pm

Coffeechap wrote:Fantastic that you kept it alive, my mate is currently redoing all the pipe work in copper and just correcting the flaws I. The machine, which will make it more robust and less prone to leaks

Not sure what you mean by redoing all pipework. The only pipework on the Achille is the flexible tube from water tank to piston cylinder. Must be a different machine.
Craig LMWDP #127

Coffeechap

Postby Coffeechap » replying to sophiesbar » Mar 25, 2019, 4:05 am

Which Is the most common cause of leaks in this machine!

sophiesbar

Postby sophiesbar » Mar 25, 2019, 5:37 pm

The Achille has never had a problem leaking from that silicone rubber tube. That tube also needs to be flexible, to allow assembly of the water tank carrier. The reports of leaks back in 2007/8 was caused by an o-ring issue not sealing the top of the piston cylinder to the top housing. I believe the manufacturers got the tolerances between the two wrong.
Craig LMWDP #127

Coffeechap

Postby Coffeechap » replying to sophiesbar » Mar 25, 2019, 6:07 pm

Oh I must have been the only one to have leak from that hose then