American Express? MILAN Lever Machine

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sorrentinacoffee

#1: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

an odd machine indeed on ebay- very industrial steam punk. Looking at it I realised that if one had a time machine it would be quite a simple matter to go back to the late 19th Century and 'invent' the Espresso lever Machine- becoming fabulously wealthy in the process. Might have to run them off gas initially but I am sure they would have been able to put together a very nice 'bespoke' lever back in 1894- (you just have to patent it and tell them what to do)- all the tech was there- and the love of steam!...

any how- I digress- here is what got me thinking- has any one seen her kind before: American Express, Milano? If I didn't know when the espresso lever was invented I would date this to: 1935:

The machine looks like it was very much 'hand made' by industrial machinists out of industrial components (with a goodly sense of art-deco style):

One feature I really like is the placement of the Manometro:

DanoM

#2: Post by DanoM »

sorrentinacoffee wrote:One feature I really like is the placement of the Manometro
I guess they knew even back then that once you are up to pressure that gauge is hardly ever referenced! :wink:
LMWDP #445

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

Looks a little like a roaster too... that'll really look nice once it's been cleaned up.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

sorrentinacoffee (original poster)

#4: Post by sorrentinacoffee (original poster) »

it's true- it really does look like an old roaster. More than coincidental similarity i think.

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

Levers were invented by Gaggia in 1948. This does not look like a lever machine, but like a regular steam group. The style is Futurist/brutalist/Fascist deco -- late 20s, early 30s, I guess. What's really odd is that the there is no PF, but a valve. How do they get the coffee in? In fact, the thing is wrong looking. Fake or just bizarre?
Jim Schulman

sorrentinacoffee (original poster)

#6: Post by sorrentinacoffee (original poster) »

I know levers were invented around 1948.... and this does look earlier- BUT but this machine is definitely a lever and certainly no fake- sorry the photos did not make this clear- this one should clear things up:

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

another_jim wrote:...... What's really odd is that the there is no PF, but a valve. How do they get the coffee in? In fact, the thing is wrong looking. Fake or just bizarre?

You're just seeing the valve on the faceplate, behind the group. Look at the first picture, and you can see where it's mounted, and then how it looks superimposed on the lower photo.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

What I'd like to know is what that lower (but not lowest) valve on the right side of the machine is for. Because i can trace the steam valve on top, the very bottom appears to be a drain valve, then on the far left is what's likely an overcomplicated looking boiler refill valve. But that lower right one, which would certainly be where I'd like a hot water tap to be, doesn't appear to correspond with one.

It really would be cool to see more pictures. I realy like that Art Deco style foundation part on the base. Nice details. The whole thing reminds me of a prototype/early predecessor of a single group Gaggia Internazionale.

OldNuc

#9: Post by OldNuc »

On the right as you look at the pix the top valve is steam, the next lower is hot water, the lowest is a boiler fill. The fill is connected to the boiler between the steam and water valves. On the left the valve at the bottom is a boiler/sightglass blowdown valve. The portafilter is missing. There is an electric cord attached for purpose unknown. The design looks to be from the late 40s very early 50s, something like a retro prewar look.

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC »

Yup, my eyes missed the hot water tap in the middle, it has an acute bend and sits far forward near the group.