American Express? MILAN Lever Machine - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pootoogoo

#11: Post by pootoogoo »

TomC wrote:The whole thing reminds me of a prototype/early predecessor of a single group Gaggia Internazionale.
I saw this machine few days ago and that's exactly what I told myself.

The electric cord and the top opening of the frame indicate that this machine could be powered with both gas and electricity. By the way, the right inscription is "american espress", Milano... that is apparently an old espresso machine brand (if this guy knows what is talking about).

sorrentinacoffee (original poster)

#12: Post by sorrentinacoffee (original poster) »

you can see all the pictures here while it lasts:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/VECCHIA-MACCHINA ... 20e89ecc6f

channo

#13: Post by channo »

Andrea

sorrentinacoffee (original poster)

#14: Post by sorrentinacoffee (original poster) »

impressive Channo! do you know by chance what year that machine is? The little tableau on the rear is a real work of art.... note how the lady is about to touch the gentleman's foot with her own under the table as they share an innocent espresso... :P It is interesting the first ebay machine comes with a Faema grinder that seemingly matches the machine with the weird greenish metal ...

Milano America Espress must surely be one of the earliest lever manufacturers :?: ?

pootoogoo

#15: Post by pootoogoo »

"Deux images valent deux mille mots", I guess.

Merci channo pour le partage... mais du coup ça donne envie d'en savoir plus:

Is there a link between Gaggia and this rare brand ? Is it pre or post-1953 company ? How long did it last ?
But maybe this is another case where there are much more questions than answers...

Interestingly the back design shows an "American Bar" configuration but the two customers sit at an individual table. :wink:

jamoke

#16: Post by jamoke »

Jack, that complete set of photos does help explain things: I can now see where the various bits of plumbing are connected, and the lever handle is shown. A remarkable machine, for which I hope the buyer is able to get all the parts needed to get it up and running again. Maybe someone on this forum will buy it and give us a blow-by-blow account of the restoration.
Ed Bugel
LMWDP 122
Huky #297

channo

#17: Post by channo »

sorrentinacoffee wrote:impressive Channo! do you know by chance what year that machine is? The little tableau on the rear is a real work of art.... note how the lady is about to touch the gentleman's foot with her own under the table as they share an innocent espresso... :P It is interesting the first ebay machine comes with a Faema grinder that seemingly matches the machine with the weird greenish metal ...

Milano America Espress must surely be one of the earliest lever manufacturers :?: ?
Hello
Gaggia filed a patent horizontal boiler in June 1947 and the patent group lever 7 August 1947.
A ufficina (not in Milan) produces the classica of August to december 31 1947, early 1948 is Valente (faema) which manufactures classica for Gaggia.
In 1953 a trial objection and Italian Gaggia coffee machine manufacturers (and Rosetta Scorsa) and the patent falls into the public domain.
No machine lever was produced before 1953 *and this brand (Milano) is one of the many Italian manufacturers, the style is closer to Carimali murano or Cornuta (Pavoni).
The art deco (1925/1940) it is the object and the shapes are more angular.
* for Italian manufacture, because the patent protect ony for Italy.
Andrea

TomC
Team HB

#18: Post by TomC »

I wonder if there was a decorative cowling that surrounded the outermost structural part. I'm surprised at it's skyrocketing bids, it certainly looks like it's going to take a great deal of hammering and straightening out. That's a deep restoration project.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

drgary
Team HB

#19: Post by drgary »

It may be one of a kind. Both of these are relics of the earliest days of commercial levers.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Sansibar99

#20: Post by Sansibar99 »

Well Andrea,
what about this?

8) (Not mine, of course)

Or this one (the same as in the auction):

:cry: (Not mine either...)

Edit: Arrgh, it's the same machine :oops:
LMWDP #422