All-Clad Presso - the minimalist pour over espresso machine - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sassielass

#11: Post by sassielass »

I also found mine at Marshalls Home Goods store for $7.99, but it did not come with the coffee basket. Did you get the complete machine when you got yours? Where can I get the basket/directions? Thank you :D

HB
Admin

#12: Post by HB »

sassielass wrote:Where can I get the basket/directions?
Bad news. A lurker informs me that the basket is about 1/2 mm smaller than the standard 53mm size of Saeco, Solis, etc. -- those won't fit. If the store can't replace it, you'll need to contact the UK manufacturer, which will get pricey in a hurry. My guess is that yours was an opened return to the store and they neglected to check for missing parts.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
sassielass

#13: Post by sassielass »

Thanks for the update on the missing filter section. If anyone out there knows where I can get one let me know - this may have to go back to the store! Sorry I didn't get to try it - sounds interesting.

tgame

#14: Post by tgame »

another_jim wrote: A goshshot is not quite a godshot. The machine is a $99.95 Presso + $9.21 virgin PTFE cylinder
I bought one of these beasties a while ago and have been enjoying better coffee than I ever had before, but had become aware of some of the shortcomings. The modification sounds a good idea and I'd like to do it but don't care for the idea of a lot of carving. What about some form of cold setting plastic? Does anyone know of anything that would do? I haven't even looked at the piston yet as I don't have the needed allen key. Must get a set.

Regards,

Tony Game.

another_jim
Team HB

#15: Post by another_jim »

tgame wrote:I bought one of these beasties a while ago and have been enjoying better coffee than I ever had before, but had become aware of some of the shortcomings. The modification sounds a good idea and I'd like to do it but don't care for the idea of a lot of carving. What about some form of cold setting plastic? Does anyone know of anything that would do? I haven't even looked at the piston yet as I don't have the needed allen key. Must get a set.
When I posted on alt.coffee, I basically got some "you moron, if you'd gone a page further in the Mcmaster catalogue, you'd have found castable silicone and gotten a perfect form with no work." Although I don't like being called a moron, I had to agree -- that's a much better idea. However, I can't tell you how to do it, since I didn't, d'oh.

Bubble_Boy

#16: Post by Bubble_Boy »

I would love to have you explain how to do this castable silicone method.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Craig :)

HB
Admin

#17: Post by HB »

I'm not another_jim, but found some recent discussions by searching "silicone presso" on alt.coffee.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
hbuchtel

#18: Post by hbuchtel »

Hello all,

Has anybody been able to get an accurate reading on how much pressure the Presso can produce? I have only seen another_jim's saran wrap test and a review on this site. . .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C9Z8D/

. . . with the following quote "i e-mailed the presso espresso manufacturer for some help and they admitted it could only produce pressure in the 7-8 bar range."

I'm pretty sure that that review was written based on a stock presso, with the air gap filled it should be much better, no?

It seems that in the instructions included with the Presso they recommend using a fairly course grind . . .

There is a Presso in the mail on it's way to me, I'm getting excited!

Thanks for any replies,

Henry

hbuchtel

#19: Post by hbuchtel »

While I'm writing, it is interesting that the Presso's portafilter 'locks in' from the right! Any ideas on why they might have chosen this style?

Henry

hbuchtel

#20: Post by hbuchtel »

Bubble_Boy wrote: I have an Exbobar Pulsar and a Fiorenzato T-80.
Craig, do you use a different technique for the Expobar and the Presso?

Do you get a much different espresso from the lever machine? If I had a nice espresso machine I'm not sure I'd use the Presso much . . . why do you?

Henry
LMWDP #53