Airbuster with a 2-switch pre-mil gen2?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
bobsy

#1: Post by bobsy »

Any folks here with a 2-switch gen2 pre-mil Europiccola who installed the airbuster? Can you give feedback and what part of your flow improved (output, sponginess, sneeze etc). Are you satisfied with it? Would you recommend it?

LObin

#2: Post by LObin replying to bobsy »

No Airbuster here but a slide valve so same benefits but different operations.

First advantage is that you get a much earlier grab and can improve control and repeatability over your shot profiles.

2nd advantage is the higher yield. It's not night and day but easily an extra 5-10g. It's also more predictable and consistent.

A throwback is the "soupier" pucks since the trapped air is no pushed through the portafilter at the end of a pull. Waiting a few minutes to knock the puck out helps getting dryer pucks.

Would I recommend it? Totally! If... you mostly do modern roasts. Someone who pulls traditional roasts or makes 6-8 oz lattes won't benefit from the Airbuster as much as the modern espresso drinker who likes to experiment and often pulls 1:2.5 - 1:3 ratios.
LMWDP #592

guijan12

#3: Post by guijan12 »

I'm curious; what is the slide valve? :lol:
Regards,

Guido

LObin

#4: Post by LObin replying to guijan12 »

LMWDP #592

mrtwobits

#5: Post by mrtwobits »

Hello everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted. I watched the video for the slide valve and for the Airbuster. Looks pretty cool. I am interested in adding it to my Europiccola.

I haven't been able to find any information about the slide valve in a search in this forum and google.

Would someone mind posting further information? Thanks.

guijan12

#6: Post by guijan12 »

LObin wrote:video
Thanks for sharing @LObin.
Did you make it yourself, or is it for sale?
I already use the PPK, so its a small adjustment to include the slide valve. :mrgreen:
Suppose it also helps against the PF sneeze?
Regards,

Guido

LObin

#7: Post by LObin »

mrtwobits wrote:
guijan12 wrote:Thanks for sharing @LObin.
Did you make it yourself, or is it for sale?
I already use the PPK, so its a small adjustment to include the slide valve. :mrgreen:
Suppose it also helps against the PF sneeze?
I didn't come up with the idea as it was done by a few guys before me. Can't find the FB lever fever post but these are the parts required for this modification:

1. A 1/8 FEMALE BSP slide valve like this one: https://a.co/d/4cn1Cj5

2. A 1/8 to 1/8 exterior BSP fitting

As for portafilter sneeze... It's never been an issue for me but I guess it does greatly reduce the chances of it happening. I mean, you can still provoke one if you remove the PF before the group is fully depressurized.
As I mentioned before, the coffee puck is soupier and doesn't knock out dry, at least not right away.

I would definitely not recommend this mod to a newbie. Not that it's dangerous but opening the valve when the group is filled is something you'll likely only do once... Nowhere near as bad as opening the boiler cap :lol:

Note that there's also more time to shut the valve off on a Millennium group because of the longer water path. Gen 2 group fill is much faster. The slide valve will still work on every group though.
LMWDP #592

guijan12

#8: Post by guijan12 »

Thanks Jonathan,

I'll see if I can get one locally. :wink:
Regards,

Guido