Advice re lever groups: La San Marco or Grimac-Fiorenzato - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
kunlun121 (original poster)

#11: Post by kunlun121 (original poster) »

I had not, thanks for the suggestion. Great thread. Not sure it offers benefits over the original Bezzera group. Will check it out tho.

MemPast

#12: Post by MemPast »

Here is the Kickstarter page of the Salvatore lever. One of the pics shows the thermosiphon connections to the group:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sa ... chine-comp

You ask how to choose the right one. I do not know who sells them. Maybe someone here can point us to a seller.

MemPast

#13: Post by MemPast »

I have an idea that would allow the "dipper Bosco group" (CMA) to be used as a "thermpsiphon".

Look at the valve at the back of the Bosco group, where it controls the water flow rate when the lever is pulled down:

(there is a youtube video for Doug from OE explaining the valve function)

Now in another post (How does water circulate in a thermosiphon spring lever grouphead?), in post one, the dipper Bosco group drawing is shown:

and in post 3, the thermosiphon Bosco group drawing is shown:

I think the valve in the "thermosiphon group" has no function (or maybe the drawing does not show the full details.) Anyway, my idea is:
- to remove the valve and the ball in it at all, and attach one of the thermosiphon pipes to the hole of the valve, and the dipper hole in the back of the group is used for the other thermosiphon pipe. This way, a thermosiphon cycle is formed.

I think the idea is viable; however, the look of the group with one pipe attached to its back is not pretty:)

Markant

#14: Post by Markant »

kunlun121 wrote: The Italian parts distributors like Vecchi don't have Londinium or Bosco parts listed. Would Londinium sell me one? Does anyone of you have suggestions?
From the FAQ on their website:
I need an item which is not in the catalogue. How can I add it to my order?

In the main screen of catalogue click on the banner "Available many parts out of the catalogue, please contact us" and fill the form with all the information you have. DVG will reply to you asap.
So just ask for the thermosiphon version of the group you want.....

and another place to ask-maybe-...http://www.rubinetterie-condor.it/erogazione.html

#15: Post by kunlun121 (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for weighing in.

Just had the frame of my machine powder coated. It had become pretty rusty. Perfectly sealed now.

Here it is on brand new polished strainless feet with my new bosco-type thermosiphon group next to it.

Getting some new tubing made this week.

MemPast

#16: Post by MemPast »

Good luck with the new group!

Where did you get it, and for how much? The thermosiphon version does not seem to be easy to get.

#17: Post by kunlun121 (original poster) »

MemPast wrote:I think the valve in the "thermosiphon group" has no function (or maybe the drawing does not show the full details.) Anyway, my idea is:
- to remove the valve and the ball in it at all, and attach one of the thermosiphon pipes to the hole of the valve, and the dipper hole in the back of the group is used for the other thermosiphon pipe. This way, a thermosiphon cycle is formed.

I think the idea is viable; however, the look of the group with one pipe attached to its back is not pretty:)
That is an interesting idea. I recently laid eyes on a KvdW 2-group speedster with this lever group. He does something similar, but seems to have drilled a hole in the side of the "neck" of the group. To that hole is connected a thin pipe that is fed through the front plate back into the machine. Not sure exactly what the purpose is, because the lever group did look like a thermosiphon version with two holes. Not sure if that's part of Kees's design, or whether it was fitted later on. But it made me think that this is another way of turning a single-hole group into a thermosiphon version. Which is almost exactly what you suggested.