Advice on Sama Lusso (Club?) pressure - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
novyan (original poster)

#11: Post by novyan (original poster) »

A ha thank you timo!
At the link you sent me, they have this this SOPAC SP 1401 (0.2-0.9), does it mean the element switch on at 0.2bar and switch it off at 0.9? Or can be set to switch off at any pressure between 0.2-0.9?

@JB130,
:O mine has nothing stamped on it, I remove the housing and really use a magnifier to see if there is any trace of a dried ink or something on that space. There's nothing there :). Btw, do you have a pic of your bezzera? Heard about it, but never seen one.
You said,
the heating element kicks on at 0.8 bar, and it turns off at 1.5 bar. Quite a wide range!
wide rage means a good or bad?

LMWDP #343

timo888

#12: Post by timo888 »

The numbers represent the minimum and maximum pressures under which the switch can function, not the on/off settings.

Many home-baristas would consider it a virtue in a pressurestat that it have a narrow dead-band, i.e. on at 1.0 and off at 1.1, because the pressure (->temperature) doesn't wander far. However, it is possible to make a virtue of a wide dead-band. If the switch turns the heating element on when the boiler pressure drops below .8 and turns it off when the boiler reaches 1.2, you have a way to pull shots at different temperatures -- a rather crude method, true. If you want higher temperature, pull when the water's at its hottest; for a cooler shot, pull just before the element kicks back on again.

Advertisement
JB130

#13: Post by JB130 »

novyan wrote: Btw, do you have a pic of your bezzera? Heard about it, but never seen one.
You can see a picture here.

novyan (original poster)

#14: Post by novyan (original poster) »

timo888 wrote:The numbers represent the minimum and maximum pressures under which the switch can function, not the on/off settings.
Thanks, so this answers the wonder in mind about the p-stat model on this Sama. Look back to the link you gave, unless something wrong with it, the p-stat is 16.01 (1,5-2,8bar).
timo888 wrote:Many home-baristas would consider it a virtue in a pressurestat that it have a narrow dead-band
Any brand or link to this p-stat?

@JB130
WOW!!! Sweeet!!!
LMWDP #343

timo888

#15: Post by timo888 »

novyan wrote:Look back to the link you gave, unless something wrong with it, the p-stat is 16.01 (1,5-2,8bar).

The range of the 16.01 is too high. Since you cannot get your machine to go below 1.5, you might have the 16.01. With the 16.01, the minimum pressure is 1.5 bars, but that is really the maximum pressure you'd ever want to use. You want to shift the range lower. A pstat that supported a range of 0.5 to 1.5 would let you try lower temperatures, but the 15.01 model at 0.9-1.7 would also be OK.

novyan (original poster)

#16: Post by novyan (original poster) »

Thank you timo!

Yes I definitely think the p-stat is the 16.01

What p-stat to have range 0.5-1.5?
And btw, do you happen to ever play with this in the pic
LMWDP #343

grong

#17: Post by grong »

Perhaps the pressurestat that fits the Ponte Vecchio Lusso will fit your machine?

Advertisement
grong

#18: Post by grong »

In my Ponte Vecchio Lusso I have a Mater XP110 pressurestat, which operates between .5 bar and 1.5 bar, which is a very thorough range. Before I had a Mater XP110 (same number) that operates between 1 bar and 2.5 bar. I much prefer the lower range, and keep mine set to cycle between a low of .5 and a high of .8.

timo888

#19: Post by timo888 »

I have never seen the SOPAC pstats in person, so I haven't ever adjusted that particular screw. The adjustment is within the minimum/maximum range.

Search this website for "adjust pstat" and you'll have enough reading to last the rest of the year. :wink:

I don't know what brands are readily available to you, but here in the U.S., MATER and CEME are the two main players in the domestic class espresso machine aftermarket.

novyan (original poster)

#20: Post by novyan (original poster) »

Thank you timo!

Will find out what's that thing for, it could be the deadband adjustment.

Will put Ma-ter xp110 into consideration, thanks grong!
LMWDP #343