Advice for new Profitec Pro 800 user - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cyclezib

#31: Post by cyclezib »

I bought my temperature strips from flair espresso. it is the 70 - 100 C version.

EvilCookie

#32: Post by EvilCookie »

Sounds good, thanks for the reply. I suppose my next question would be, what should the grouphead temperature be at then.

def

#33: Post by def replying to EvilCookie »

I had best results at 175F measured at the lower part of the group, just above the pf.

Photo and table here

cyclezib

#34: Post by cyclezib »

The strip is just to let you know if your group head is up to temperature. While you are getting more familiar with your machine, you could do a short flush to see if the the temperature increases. Eventually, you will learn at which temperature the machine is up to full temperature. The final temperature is based upon the boiler temp you selected.
Your choice of boiler temperature is a matter of taste in the cup. Some roasts do better with hotter temperature than others.

Here are the PID settings recommended by Clive Coffee.

And our recommended settings for the Pro 800:
F.01: F
P.: 10.0
I.: 0.10
d.: 0.5
T1: 248
E1: 0

borisp

#35: Post by borisp »

Thanks for the thread and all the info you've all shared, as a new Pro 800 owner I find it valuable.

Would you recommend getting the Cafelat lever group kit with the IMS shower screen among other parts?

Also, what double basket do you guys find yields the best results? Some ridgeless IMS/VST 14/16g will do?
I don't usually dose higher than 16g and I'll consider adding an LM single basket + 41mm tamper in the future, but that'll have to wait.

EDIT: Cafelat's stores (both UK and non-UK websites) have expensive shipping, are there any other alternative sources to buy those parts online?

EvilCookie

#36: Post by EvilCookie »

Hey Boris,

I've been using the IMS curved 18/22g basket and it has worked perfectly while using a puck screen. I'm dosing 18-19 grams though so I can't help you out when it comes to lower quantities. The only thing I can really add is that my 18g VST basket wouldn't fit inside the grouphead unless I did not use my puck screen. So if you're looking to dose 16g of coffee and are using a puck screen, you may want to opt for an 18g basket just so you have that extra clearance. Others that have more experience, feel free to chime in.

While on the topic of maintenance, can anyone confirm if the group head gasket linked below will fit the pro 800?

https://www.espressoparts.com/products/ ... ever-group

Also, would these be the correct piston gaskets compatible with the Pro 800 as well?

https://www.espressoparts.com/products/ ... ton-gasket

If there are any other parts or gaskets we will need (other than lubricant) to service the piston, can you please let us know?

If these are the correct gaskets, then that solves your issue with buying from cafelat direct and paying their high shipping prices.

Lastly, thank you guys for your responses. I'll play around with the temperature tomorrow. I'm not too sure what the other parameters Clive suggested mean though? Care to explain?

DonFelipe

#37: Post by DonFelipe »

(Delete)

EvilCookie

#38: Post by EvilCookie »

Anyone able to comment on the gaskets?

GregoryJ

#39: Post by GregoryJ »

Yes you'll want 3 of the piston gaskets and 1 of the group gasket. My piston gaskets are still sitting in the drawer, but I recently installed the group gasket and it fits well.

EvilCookie

#40: Post by EvilCookie »

Sounds good Gregory, thank you. I'll order some then.