ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva vs. Nurri L-Type Leva

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
daveyb

#1: Post by daveyb »

I wonder if the Nurri will ever have the new technologies being applied to the Vostok/Evo Leva?

Split by moderator from ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva, updated and referenced from New review of Nurri L-Type Leva by Lance Hedrick.

anespressomd
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by anespressomd »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nurri does not have the volumetric auto stop capabilities as the Vostok, is this also in the Evo Leva? How do the Nurri and Vostok grouphead heating control compare?

Primacog

#3: Post by Primacog »

cyclezib wrote:The ACS competes with the Nurri Leva.
I believe the Nurri is at a premium, but the aesthetics and function are, in my opinion, superior.
As an owner of a nurri leva as well, I echo cyclezib's praise of the nurri's aesthetics and function and for me, it is my favourite espresso machine of all I have ever seen or used.

In terms of price, it isn't really comparing apples to oranges to compare the nurri with the acs machines as the latter are sold usually direct from the manufacturer to the user and thus the user will need to sort out his own repairs and maintenance. Of course the manufacturer will provide the after sales support where parts and advice are concered but the user has to be comfortable with doing the actual maintenance work himself. The nurri has local dealers in most places by now and obviously the cost of the dealer will cause the nurri price to havw to accommodate the local dealer but that comes with local maintenance support too. I for one appreciate the local support of my nurri dealer for my machine.
LMWDP #729

Primacog

#4: Post by Primacog »

anespressomd wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nurri does not have the volumetric auto stop capabilities as the Vostok, is this also in the Evo Leva? How do the Nurri and Vostok grouphead heating control compare?
As I said in my post above, the nurri doesn't have volumetric automation stop programmable features as that is not part of its manual approach. If u must have that feature then the acs machines are the way to go, though I am not sure why one needs such a feature for home use. I can understand that for a Volume need like a cafe or to cater for a function the volumetric auto stop would be useful but if one makes coffee for fun for oneself at home, I would have thought we want to be involved in the shot as far as possible.

As far as heating control of the grouphead iz concerned, you can set the groiphead for the nurri at whatever temperature u want and it will achieve that temperature in minutes entirely independent of the rest of the machine. I have often changed beans from dark beans to lighter roast beans or vice versa within the same session from.one shot to another and used that feature to change the temp lf the grouphead to the appropriate temp within minutes - something that would be exceedingly bothersome to do with a traditional lever. The temp. setting ability on a nurri is so intuitive u could figure it out without bothering with the manual.
LMWDP #729

Primacog

#5: Post by Primacog »

daveyb wrote:I wonder if the Nurri will ever have the new technologies being applied to the Vostok/Evo Leva?
For programmable volumetric functions etc I don't see why the single group nurri leva should ever have such features as it seems to run counter to its philosophy and to be unnecessary for the home bartsta - from my perspective of course. For a multi group nurri leva designed for the cafe the needs of the cafe may well change that. I saw a video of a multi group nurri leva machine with a small colour touchscreen that was used in host Milano this year. But that is up to Antonio so only.speculation on my part...

For safety features to control.the ascent of the lever handle in case the portafilter is empty etc, this is not really a new solution as La San Marco has had a solution for that in their CLASSE system for quite a few years. i also seem to.recall that the nurri patent application may have had a claim.for a safety mechanism that will have the same effect so who knows if they may implement that in the future?
LMWDP #729

Primacog

#6: Post by Primacog »

DaveC wrote:1. The warm up time is 15 minutes

2. No absolutely not. The technologies in the LR24 don't even come close. The LR24 is a very basic single boiler machine, with a group costing half the price. There is no real ability to precisely control temperature and brewing temp/steaming are not totally divorced things. All at a similar price to an Evo with all extra the bells and whistles available.

The Evo as standard does not come with the volumetric shot mechanism, as mentioned by someone vs the Nurri, but for an additional price, this can be added at factory and still keeps well under the Nurri price. The PID control and level of control on the Evo/Vostock, is superior to the Nurri, plus it's all controlled from a colour touchscreen, rather than 2 buttons on a 2 digit or 3 digit LED display. The Evo as standard comes with a 7 day 2 event on/off timer as well as other extra features..

The revised Evo has a quiet Rotary pump as standard, extra strengthening and frame revisions (much of the frame is now 3mm thick) stainless. And compared to machines like the Londinum, an all stainless frame construction, rather than a Mild Steel powder coated frame.

I have no knowledge of the pid on the acs machines but the pid of the nurri has been updated significantly from its earliest version - all three channels that control the grouphead, brew boiler and the steam boiler so to speak are totally independent of each other and are able to be set independently of each ither. I'm not sure how the acs pid can be superior to that of the nurri pid in those circumstances but even if there is a feature the former may have that the latter does not, I am not sure why most users will need it.

As for the touchscreen interface of the acs, i do not think that is superior to the nurri pid interface - it is just different. As far as my own needs are concerned, the pid display on the nurri is able to display all necessary info in an elegantly minimalistic manner. For the nurri it is not just analogue and manual in operation but it is so in appearance as well.

As I have said it previously on this forum, the nurri workflow and interface is diametrically opposite to that of the acs machines. I have previously described the nurri as more like apple iPhone vs the acs machines which are more like Samsung galaxy phones as an analogy.

It will appeal to different types of people more or less. For those who want to program the nth degree out of everything and to have automated features - which will include volumetric automation - then the touchscreen accessibility of the acs machines will appeal more to them and they should buy the vostok or the evo leva.

On the other hand, if the user wants to be involved in the moment of making the shot in the same way as a pilot pilots a plane or a driver drives his car and for the sheer enjoyment of it rather than just producing the shot at the end, if the user wants to delight in the directness of the workflow and how intuitive the paddle controls are and to enjoy the superb looks of the machine as it is perched on his counter, if the last thing one wants to see is yet another touchscreen on a coffee machine and one wants instead analogue controls as far as possible, then the nurri is likely to be the machine that will appeal more to him. The totally manual nature of the paddles etc means that it is very flexible and there are many things one can do with the nurri with these variables limited only by ones imagination.

Furthermore the fact that it heats up fully in only 15 mins or less (like the acs machines also) really make the auto timer on off feature not really that significant.

For me, one is not superior to the other - they will be the best machine for different folks depending what they r looking for.
LMWDP #729

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

daveyb wrote:How long do you think it will take all of the changes going on with the Evo to filter through to the Nurri then?
Since this is essentially the same question you asked on December 20th, I've split the follow-on discussion to this thread for those who wish to discuss one versus the other. For the rest, see ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva or Nurri L-Type Leva.
Dan Kehn

Cuprajake

#8: Post by Cuprajake »

This isnt a good idea lol

mikel

#9: Post by mikel »

HB wrote: I've split the follow-on discussion to this thread for those who wish to discuss one versus the other.
Just thinking outside the box...Is there a way to split this discussion into some other forum?

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

Cuprajake wrote:This isnt a good idea lol
mikel wrote:Just thinking outside the box...Is there a way to split this discussion into some other forum?
At the risk of dragging an already off-topic prone discussion further off topic, please elaborate on helpful suggestions you might have. For whatever reason, the "other" two threads were getting regular offline complaints. If this thread doesn't work out and nobody has a better idea, I'm inclined to either (a) put these threads on permanent slo-mo, or (b) close them.
Dan Kehn