ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva - Page 52

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Cuprajake

#511: Post by Cuprajake »


jeffpresso
Supporter ♡

#512: Post by jeffpresso »

Has anyone used the portafilter spring to replace the Circlip for the shower screen? It seems to work better than anything else I've tried. I got rust with the zinc plated Circlip.

NelisB

#513: Post by NelisB »

Yes, that's what I did.

DaveC

#514: Post by DaveC »

jeffpresso wrote:Has anyone used the portafilter spring to replace the Circlip for the shower screen? It seems to work better than anything else I've tried. I got rust with the zinc plated Circlip.
They now come as standard with a modified portafilter clip ring to secure the shower screen, have for quite a while.

jeffpresso
Supporter ♡

#515: Post by jeffpresso »

DaveC wrote:They now come as standard with a modified portafilter clip ring to secure the shower screen, have for quite a while.

How did they modify the spring? Was the overlap cutoff? I got my machine at the end of December and didn't have rust issues until recently. It makes sense they changed it.

DaveC

#516: Post by DaveC »

jeffpresso wrote: How did they modify the spring? Was the overlap cutoff? I got my machine at the end of December and didn't have rust issues until recently. It makes sense they changed it.
I think they got something made for the job using the same steel. I'd been complaining about the standard circlips for ages. I didn't like them, it made removing and cleaning the shower screen difficult and required circlip pliers. The tremendous grip these circlips gave simply wasn't required, the forces on the screen are very low. The standard circlips IMO were also too large.....

Circlips came in 2 types...the super snappy stainless, which appeared to break if you looked at them and the non snappy but rustable coated steel. I did check to see what other options to suggest, but circlips are a PITA and using a tool free spring clip is far better. I started of testing GU10 light fitting spring clips which worked well (and still do for many people), but the steel diameter was a slightly tight fit in the group rebate for the shower screen and circlip..it worked but wasn't perfect. Hence something the correct diameter being made.

P.S. If you buy GU10 spring clips from the store, make sure they are real stainless and not Chinese fake stainless (assuming you have GU10 light fittings in the USA?).

jeffpresso
Supporter ♡

#517: Post by jeffpresso »

DaveC wrote: I think they got something made for the job using the same steel. I'd been complaining about the standard circlips for ages. I didn't like them, it made removing and cleaning the shower screen difficult and required circlip pliers. The tremendous grip these circlips gave simply wasn't required, the forces on the screen are very low. The standard circlips IMO were also too large.....

Circlips came in 2 types...the super snappy stainless, which appeared to break if you looked at them and the non snappy but rustable coated steel. I did check to see what other options to suggest, but circlips are a PITA and using a tool free spring clip is far better. I started of testing GU10 light fitting spring clips which worked well (and still do for many people), but the steel diameter was a slightly tight fit in the group rebate for the shower screen and circlip..it worked but wasn't perfect. Hence something the correct diameter being made.

P.S. If you buy GU10 spring clips from the store, make sure they are real stainless and not Chinese fake stainless (assuming you have GU10 light fittings in the USA?).
Thanks for your detailed post, and all that you have done with the Evo Leva.

Two questions:
First, how would I check if it's stainless? Hardness, magnets, something else like labels? Second, is there any issue to use an unmodified portafilter spring from the one of the Evo portafilter set (other than being harder to remove)?

DaveC

#518: Post by DaveC » replying to jeffpresso »

If the GU10 rusts, it wasn't stainless of the right grade....

I can't see any problem using an unmodified portafilter spring....you may need to trim the end

User avatar
espressotime

#519: Post by espressotime » replying to DaveC »

Isn't it a PITA to pry the spring out the groove with my chubby fingers?

DaveC

#520: Post by DaveC » replying to espressotime »

Put a little bend in one end.