ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva - Page 25

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
DaveC

#241: Post by DaveC »

DonFelipe wrote: Dry/wet cycles - if I drink 6 milk coffees per year (example) and I want always fresh water inside the service boiler, thats means the heating element will be dry - wet - dry - wet .... I am not a handy man, so want to know if this could affect the heating elemnt (rust, cracks or something I cannot imagine) Hope I was more clear
The heating element is Incoloy 800, so whether it's wet or dry doesn't matter...(in fairness, copper elements don't care either).

The systems within the machine prevent (as should all machines), the heating element from becoming exposed whilst there is power to them, so again no risk of damage like that when draining boiler. These are not new concepts in espresso machine design.

pro2ac

#242: Post by pro2ac »

DaveC wrote:These are not new concepts in espresso machine design.
This does not imply anything.
A water tube going to the bottom of a boiler goes way back, pre-lever era; probably to the origins of the steam boiler. Even a moka pot has one, yet newly developed espresso machines miss the point :)

Ad-85

#243: Post by Ad-85 »

My friend loves his new V-Handle.

LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

darkstefano

#244: Post by darkstefano »

I have a 54.9mm bravo tamper base but it does not fit the stock Evo Leva baskets.
How many mm use with the stock basket?

Thanks

Amberale

#245: Post by Amberale »

[quote="Ad-85"]My friend loves his new V-Handle.

Very nice.
Do you know where he sourced the lovely little mirror?

Ad-85

#246: Post by Ad-85 »

darkstefano wrote:I have a 54.9mm bravo tamper base but it does not fit the stock Evo Leva baskets.
How many mm use with the stock basket?

Thanks
54.3mm
Amberale wrote:
He made it himself using a magnifying mirror and a mobile stand from amazon.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

RueFondary

#247: Post by RueFondary »

54.4mm tampers from the likes of Torr or IMS do work well with the stock Evo baskets (and this size also works decently with IMS baskets, although for a tight fit with these, a 54.7 to possibly 54.9 will work better).
Check the website in my contact info for ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva (Unofficial) FAQ

cimbali

#248: Post by cimbali »

Is there no possibility to run the machine without pump ?

Just using boiler pressure or plumbed water pressure ?

DonFelipe

#249: Post by DonFelipe »

Definitively you can plumb to the main.

RueFondary

#250: Post by RueFondary »

cimbali wrote:Is there no possibility to run the machine without pump ?

Just using boiler pressure or plumbed water pressure ?
Given the design of the Evo Leva, the pump is needed to take the water from the water tank to the boilers... to fill the piston chamber, and to control preinfusion pressure.

As the brew boiler temperature is below the water boiling point, brew boiler pressure can't be used to push the water into the piston chamber (contrary to HX designs where the single boiler runs at higher temperatures))

When plumbed in, the water mains is only used to (automatically) refill the tank which acts as a 'buffer' and holds water at atmospheric pressure. Some other machines use the mains pressure to provide preinfusion pressure, but in the Evo Leva, the preinfusion pressure is controlled by the pump (and is thus not constrained by mains pressure). In effect, the Evo works in much the same way when plumbed in or not, the only difference being that there is no need to manually fill the water tank.
Check the website in my contact info for ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva (Unofficial) FAQ