ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva - Page 24

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
beardsicles

#231: Post by beardsicles »

DaveC wrote:No, there was the ASC Vostok about 5 years ago (2 group was smallest), then the La Marzocco LevaX was revealed at Host Milan 2019 ( think around $13000 or $14000 for a 1 group?), the Vesuvius Leva arrived with the first customers in April 2021, from a concept initially discussed end October 2020..
Got it, that's useful context. I think the Vesuvius is pretty much exactly what I want, at least on paper. Although I have a slight preference for full manual over spring.

DonFelipe

#232: Post by DonFelipe »

DonFelipe wrote:
2 Read in another forum that the second boiler accumulates 0.5 l water . As I live in a place with very hard water, is there a way ro avoid this? How the descaling should carry on if it is the case?
Reply from ACS - this does not occur any more as they extended the intake pipe

FYI

DaveC

#233: Post by DaveC replying to DonFelipe »

Yes, because I told them too as soon as I found out on our forum....I cannot imagine what possessed them to have the intake pipe so high in the boiler (it's the same 2.3l boiler used on the Minima), there is no chance of it blocking in the position it was originally in on the Minima? Sure, if there's a problem, or been a problem, change it...but there has never been any problem drawing water before that I know of, and I had no idea this had been done?

It also makes descaling a lot more complicated, so another compelling reason for it to be returned to the same depth as in the Minima.

pro2ac

#234: Post by pro2ac »

DonFelipe wrote: My main concern regarding the evo its about the heating element in the steam boiler knowing the dry/wet cycles . Should I be worry of damage or rust? Although this machine really attracts me I should go with L r24 ?
I do not understand what you mean by dry/wet cycles?
Not sure about this but I recall DaveC mentioning in a clip that the gear pump has a ~35 ml/sec flow rate. I guess this should be quick enough to not leave the heating element hanging to dry. Also there should be an electronic protection via Brain Box. Strega's heating element kicks in only after water in the boiler reaches the first water level probe.

Could you please elaborate on the 0.5 l accumulation of water. Is this the residual water after purging the boiler through the hot water tap?

DonFelipe

#235: Post by DonFelipe »

As I wrote earlier, the 0.5 its no longer an issue for new machines. But was noticed, due to a short pipe, not all the water from service boiler was able to be extracted.

Dry/wet cycles - if I drink 6 milk coffees per year (example) and I want always fresh water inside the service boiler, thats means the heating element will be dry - wet - dry - wet .... I am not a handy man, so want to know if this could affect the heating elemnt (rust, cracks or something I cannot imagine) Hope I was more clear

pro2ac

#236: Post by pro2ac »

DaveC wrote:I cannot imagine what possessed them to have the intake pipe so high in the boiler (it's the same 2.3l boiler used on the Minima)
I'm confused.
Is this the pipe through which hot water from the boiler is pushed outwards by pressure difference ?
The intake pipe, for me, is the pipe that feeds the boiler with fresh water.

DonFelipe

#237: Post by DonFelipe replying to pro2ac »

Intake to the steam wand or outake from the boiler I assume

pro2ac

#238: Post by pro2ac »

DonFelipe wrote:, so want to know if this could affect the heating elemnt (rust, cracks or something I cannot imagine)
I have no idea about this machine's protection systems.

Back in the days when I was using a Sanremo Treviso HX machine, that had a rotary pump with a 50 ml/sec flow rate (well this drops with hydraulics), I was diligent enough to always uncouple the heating element from mains while filling the boiler from scratch.

I wouldn't worry about rust.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#239: Post by pizzaman383 »

DonFelipe wrote:As I wrote earlier, the 0.5 its no longer an issue for new machines. But was noticed, due to a short pipe, not all the water from service boiler was able to be extracted.

Dry/wet cycles - if I drink 6 milk coffees per year (example) and I want always fresh water inside the service boiler, thats means the heating element will be dry - wet - dry - wet .... I am not a handy man, so want to know if this could affect the heating elemnt (rust, cracks or something I cannot imagine) Hope I was more clear
Doesn't this machine have auto-fill for the steam boiler? I would think that unless you take some extra steps you can't easily leave the steam boiler empty. It would typically be full of stale water that you would need to purge before you use steam if it has been sitting there for months.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

pro2ac

#240: Post by pro2ac »

To bypass autofill just turn off the machine :) Boiler purge through water tap happens naturalluly as long there's pressure inside.