ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva - Page 23

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
hellojava

#221: Post by hellojava »

DonFelipe wrote:After reading and investigating this machine attracts me, putting it head 2 head with the lr24

Wanted to ask here:
1 As i dont drink much cappuccino an others milk based coffees, technically shutting off the second boiler for "long periods" will/could affect the heating element?
1. Each boiler can be controlled and set individually. ACS recommends leaving the steam boiler off if you're not using it, and that it will prolong its life.

pro2ac

#222: Post by pro2ac »

hellojava wrote:Is that zip tied to the frame?
Looks like it. A friend of mine that owned a Minima remarked good conception and parts quality, but poor assembly. I have no hands on experience with these machines so I cannot confirm this.
Ad-85 wrote:However, it's not the best machine for steaming
I haven't had the chance to work with a good "dry" steamer, but steam is water vapor in this case Condensation will arise upon contact with colder objects/environment. "Dryer" steam could be achieved with a slightly lower water level in the boiler, removing no burn tube and longer purges.

As I understand, the Minima, that has the same steam boiler, has good steam performance for a home/prosumer machine.
Generally speaking milk frothing capability is a function of steam volume, tip design and technique.

pro2ac

#223: Post by pro2ac »

DonFelipe wrote:After reading and investigating this machine attracts me, putting it head 2 head with the lr24

Wanted to ask here:
1 As i dont drink much cappuccino an others milk based coffees, technically shutting off the second boiler for "long periods" will/could affect the heating element?

2 Read in another forum that the second boiler accumulates 0.5 l water . As I live in a place with very hard water, is there a way ro avoid this? How the descaling should carry on if it is the case?
You should definitely do something with your water, as descaling is not a small thing. Quick descales can lead to peculiar problems.

In absence of a filtering system, one can use still water that has 70-100 PPM TDS. I'm lazy and also use tap water that has a reading of 150-160 PPM, but I have two bags of Oscar Built water treaters in my reservoir. Periodically I need to descale the anti-vacuum valve, but aside that, no problems after 6 years of use. Occasionally (2-3 moths interval) I perform a full boiler (steam boiler) purge via the water tap to spit out the loaded water. After cooling I read 500-700 PPM. This is a result of gradual accumulation over time.

darkstefano

#224: Post by darkstefano »

Hello there,
Please a technical information: with classic pump machines the blind filter is used to clean the group, what is the procedure with the evo leva? Don't use the blind filter?
Thanks

pro2ac

#225: Post by pro2ac replying to darkstefano »

Blind basket in the case of a spring lever machine should only be used for setting pump pressure output for pre-infusion. Even so, I'd rather use finely ground coffee, that chokes flow; in a couple of minutes water will be bleeded out naturally. With the blind basket one should be very careful to dispatch the portafilter, like opening a bottle of sparkling wine.

A brush, a wet cloth and a small flush will suffice daily cleaning. Added to this a weekly through clean of the shower screen also does the job.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#226: Post by pizzaman383 »

darkstefano wrote:Hello there,
Please a technical information: with classic pump machines the blind filter is used to clean the group, what is the procedure with the evo leva? Don't use the blind filter?
Thanks
A blind filter basket is used to "back-flush" a group head that has a pressure release water path through which flows coffee at the end of a shot. Typically, that isn't needed on a lever group.

If you pull the lever to relieve pressure at the end of a lever shot it can allow coffee into the cylinder and in that case an argument could be made that you could do a back-flush. Most lever users don't back-flush.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

DonFelipe

#227: Post by DonFelipe »

There will be a filter system for water care. My main concern regarding the evo its about the heating element in the steam boiler knowing the dry/wet cycles . Should I be worry of damage or rust? Although this machine really attracts me I should go with L r24 ?

beardsicles

#228: Post by beardsicles »

Is the Vesuvius the only double boiler lever machine on the market?

DonFelipe

#229: Post by DonFelipe replying to beardsicles »

Right now yes

Edit: maybe no :roll:

DaveC

#230: Post by DaveC »

beardsicles wrote:Is the Vesuvius the only double boiler lever machine on the market?
No, there was the ASC Vostok about 5 years ago (2 group was smallest), then the La Marzocco LevaX was revealed at Host Milan 2019 ( think around $13000 or $14000 for a 1 group?), the Vesuvius Leva arrived with the first customers in April 2021, from a concept initially discussed end October 2020..