ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pinky-and-me

#21: Post by pinky-and-me »

You can probably simply unscrew the gauge and put a plug yourself.
Removing the small spring will drop peak pressure to 7 bars or less.
According to some videos on another forum, you can use the gauge instead of scales. Just note the pressure when you get the desired output the first time and skip the scales after.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#22: Post by pizzaman383 »

Ad-85 wrote: This is the first affordable dual boiler lever machine to hit the market (different criteria than traditional dippers or heat exchangers single boiler levers)
Is there any other double boiler lever on the market?
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

pinky-and-me

#23: Post by pinky-and-me »

Their Vostok 2/3 group is also dual boiler.

truemagellen

#24: Post by truemagellen »

pizzaman383 wrote:Is there any other double boiler lever on the market?
Not currently. The Vostok was a 1 group option as well but it had electrical issues particularly on USA models if I recall so they only sold the 2/3 group versions.

Given the group size having a dual boiler is not really necessary unless you can temp stabilize the group independently which my understanding they did with an electric heater?

LObin

#25: Post by LObin replying to truemagellen »

There's another double boiler commercial lever that's about to hit the market as well but no specimens in the wild yet:
Nurri Leva SA with La San Marco Group

There's also the Rocket Epica but it's unclear whether it should be discussed here or in the Espresso Machine forum...
LMWDP #592

RueFondary

#26: Post by RueFondary »

The Evo Leva is a unique machine on quite a few fronts.

It is based around the traditional LSM commercial group (meaning up to 11 bar pressure, and a thus a much more beefy lever than the other prosummer spring machines), with some features which are useful in a domestic setting such as:
-The ability to be plumbed in or to use a water tank, while still offering adjustable preinfusion pressure (it can be set between 1 et 4 bars IIRC, as it uses a pump and pressostat for this feature)
-A quick warm up time, below 18 min (due to an electric group heater and relatively small brew and utility boilers - they are the same as those in the ACS Minima)
-The ability turn off the utility boiler (when not in use, knowing that both stainless steel boilers are insulated), to save energy and wear and tear on the machine... one can actually turn off the heaters in the group head and brew boilers as well (although I'm not sure how useful this will be).

It adds some innovative features too (some are also available on the 2-4 group Vostok by the same company, with which it shares the group and its electronics), such as temperature profiling - this is achieved with 3 independent PID controlled heaters (one for the 2group heaters, one for the brew boiler and one for the utility boiler which is not involved in temperature profiling but allows to control steam pressure better than in single boiler machines).

Being able to see the pressure in the brew chamber allows to easily adjust the preinfusion pressure, control brew volume (as there is a direct relation between the piston's position and the pressure the spring exerts), and to do some on-the-fly pressure profiling by nudging the level up or down. Some may not like the looks of it, but it's one of the reason why I pre-ordered this machine :wink:

Overall, one could say it's a 1 Group Vostok in a Vesuvius' clothing (most of the technology/touch panel/electronics board comes from the Vostok, but the tank and stainless steel shell are from the regular Vesuvius... while the boilers come from the Minima... only the pump is new, as I understand it).
Check the website in my contact info for ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva (Unofficial) FAQ

daveyb

#27: Post by daveyb »

On the topic of the manometer. I do not think it is so much a question of what it allows you to do, but the information that it delivers during the shot. If we assume that the bar pressure starts at the peak of 11, the shot is finished at 7 bar. How do you think that might compare with a typical single spring lever. Bet you anything you want the shot they produce has a finishing pressure a lot less than 7 bar and that the shot falls away a lot faster. DavecUk also found that when aiming for a 2:1 ratio, you can put your scales away and you will find that at 7 bar you have that particular ratio, almost as if by magic!
Of course, it is still early days yet. My first thoughts after a few days are that it is well put together, both from a materials point of view and also the way that they have done things. Utilising existing ACS parts where possible much of the machine is a known quantity, though not how they perform when all working together. The Gear pump is new.I have an open plan kitchen and the pump is not that obtrusive and only works for a short period of time. I have enjoyed using her. I prefer medium to medium dark roasts

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#28: Post by pizzaman383 »

RueFondary wrote:The Evo Leva is a unique machine on quite a few fronts.

It adds some innovative features too (some are also available on the 2-4 group Vostok by the same company, with which it shares the group and its electronics), such as temperature profiling - this is achieved with 3 independent PID controlled heaters (one for the 2group heaters, one for the brew boiler and one for the utility boiler which is not involved in temperature profiling but allows to control steam pressure better than in single boiler machines).
Is there any proof showing what temperature profiles are possible? I built and have used for 5 (Oops. 4) years a 3-pid double boiler commercial lever group espresso machine and I have found that there are limitations to temperature management that makes me skeptical about this claim. It would be impressive if this is more than just hype.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Ad-85

#29: Post by Ad-85 »

Yes I was talking about Nurri but Rocket Epica isn't really a lever machine. I think they just moved the paddle on R9 one to a different place.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

drH

#30: Post by drH »

For those using the machine, does it deliver shots at least on par with the Izzo leva? By spec it should but I suppose one never knows if usability is more complicated.