ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva owner experience - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
DaveC

#21: Post by DaveC »

mgrayson wrote:I also paid in two 50% installments. My last was January 2nd, and I've heard nothing since. Has anyone received one recently? What was the gap between last payment and machine arrival? (I could email and ask. I'm not feeling like it's late yet. Maybe once we hit March...)
I would imagine it will be soon, they are a small bespoke producer and will get faster as they bottom out production, parts etc..I would imagine they are already beginning to ramp up production. I intend to produce some You Tube overviews (not reviews) of the machine, but time has been very limited for me as other projects call on my time. I have been giving feedback so future ACS Evos can be better and better with some simple new things built in around the flush lever..

Mine only came Friday Feb 2nd and it was already built last Oct, but was awaiting the addition of new features.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by mgrayson replying to DaveC »

Thank you for the perspective. I look forward to your videos.

Junior
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by Junior »

My payment schedule was similar. My machine arrived two days ago. I did not hear anything until I received a DHL shipping notice.

If you check with ACS, they'll give you an update on the expected shipping date.
Michael

Depresso

#24: Post by Depresso »

Hi all, long time reader here. I am *this* close to placing an order for the ACS Evo Leva. I really like the pressure release system and programmability.

Could someone tell me, if using the manual mode, can you press a button to release the pressure when your shot is done? Similar to what I think you can do on the Vostok and the Nurri.

Also, in the videos I've watched the pressure seems to peak around 10 bars and then the person has the pressure release at between 8 and 7 bars. I thought lever machines were known for their declining pressure profile which is useful for preventing excessive channeling as the puck erodes. However, a drop from 10 to 7 bars doesn't seem like much of a decrease. Does it really make that much difference?

Thanks!
Aaron

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by mgrayson replying to Depresso »

Disclaimer: I don't have mine yet. Having said that, my understanding is that it is functionally equivalent to the Vostok. So yes, you can press a release button.

Spring pressure and shot volume are linked. A 7 bar release means not a lot of water has made it through the puck, i.e., a ristretto. A normale would release at 5-6 bar.

just4kickz

#26: Post by just4kickz »

I was told my machine would ship end of last week. Haven't heard anything. Hopefully they ship it soon.

just4kickz

#27: Post by just4kickz »

Junior wrote:My payment schedule was similar. My machine arrived two days ago. I did not hear anything until I received a DHL shipping notice.

If you check with ACS, they'll give you an update on the expected shipping date.
Did dhl give you a notice through a phone call or email?

Junior
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by Junior »

I received an email for tracking from dhl. Yours should be shipping soon. The box was heavy and in good shape when it delivered. Great packaging and lots of goodies packed in the box!

I had a few hitches with US Customs (probably as I had never imported anything before) and they had issues with my ID. Hopefully goes smoothly for others. Duty assessed seems somewhat random. Mine was about $75.
Michael

DaveC

#29: Post by DaveC »

Depresso wrote:Hi all, long time reader here. I am *this* close to placing an order for the ACS Evo Leva. I really like the pressure release system and programmability.

Could someone tell me, if using the manual mode, can you press a button to release the pressure when your shot is done? Similar to what I think you can do on the Vostok and the Nurri.

Also, in the videos I've watched the pressure seems to peak around 10 bars and then the person has the pressure release at between 8 and 7 bars. I thought lever machines were known for their declining pressure profile which is useful for preventing excessive channeling as the puck erodes. However, a drop from 10 to 7 bars doesn't seem like much of a decrease. Does it really make that much difference?

Thanks!
Aaron
Yes you absolutely can press the middle button next to the small display and end the shot.

I set my pressure release to 7.3 bar when using 16g of coffee for 32g out...I would set it lower if I wanted a higher ratio. This is for a "precharged" shot using the safety system and the flush lever....for a larger swept volume and higher pressure of 10-11 bar. If I do a non "precharged" shot, then it will peak at around 9 bar and release at 6.2 ish, to get the same 32g out from 16g in.

When you say this is not much of a decline, it is around 42-56 psi, which is quite a bit.

Whether the LSM clone lever profile makes much difference is not in doubt for me personally....I first experienced in almost 20 years ago when I used an Izzo Pompeii and was completely unsuccessful in getting them to make a small home one group lever. The limitation of the Izzo was only the connection and link between steaming temp and brewing, which on a small machine causes issues and of course the relative unknown of shot temperature and temperature from shot to shot.

Your milage may vary but my best tasting shots seem to come from the lever group and for me a temperature controlled group as in the Evo.

Something that I have asked for, and will go to prototype soon, is an addition to the flush lever which will allow an adjustable "lifter" which will alter the effective swept volume of the group, so you can lower it or increase it (and of course lower or raise the maximum pressure). This means you won't have to worry about precharging if you always just want to rick up and pull at the high pressure...you just adjust a small "widget" and you're done.

Note precharging or not, is only a thing with the safety system at the moment...but the widget will allow that on non safety system machines as well....just without the quite same range of pressure. In addition I have asked for another change to support something I suggested a long time ago. I call it "lever assistance mode", so that people who have trouble pulling the lever will be able to experience a 30 to 50% reduction in effort....these changes are a long way away, but if possible, should be easily retrofittable.

Any code changes can be done with a USB key for the main board...there is a ribbon cable with USB A female and a phone hotspot for the little display. Some of the little display is in Italian at the moment, but I didn't realise until someone told me, as I read coffee Italian the same as English (without noticing).

All this is why I want to make a series of YT videos, in bite sized chunks, giving an overview of the Evo2. it's not at all difficult to use, but I think people would want to understand what's going on and what's inside.

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by ShotClock »

Dave - would you mind expanding on what you mean by precharging with the flush lever? I have never heard of this, and didn't know that there is a flush lever... My machine is shipping soon hopefully, and has the safety system.

Cheers.