ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva - New User Questions

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
macaber8

#1: Post by macaber8 »

Hello,

I finally got my Vesuvius recently. Absolutely love it. The first shot I pull was great. Now it is just a matter of tuning in. Questions:

Tamper: the goal is to get a tamper that fits in the basket perfectly:
The included tamper seems to have a reasonable, but not perfect, fit to the included basket. I saw LAUBE Precision Tamper 54.41MM and wondering if anyone else have experienced it with Vesuvius EVO Leva? Is this a good option? I also want to just get a force tamper but not sure if the standard 54mm attachment is good for Vesuvius?
https://laube.coffee/products/laube-pre ... sm-baskets
I am also open to other tamper and basket combinations.

How to stop a shot: the goal is to control the output volume:
I just realized that for the lever machine, there is no stop during a middle of a shut, except for moving the cup away. Is there a way to control how much water is going through the group during a shot?

There is no included shot mirror and light. Any recommendations?

Any input is appreciated!

DaveC

#2: Post by DaveC »

I am on the ACS stand apparently the tamper they provide as a standard fits perfectly. We are having an Italian argument over which tamper you have.
I am holding a tamper which I believe it fits perfectly, they tell me they supply with the machine, but I'm thinking that they're actually supplying a different tamper which doesn't fit very well. Would you please post a photo of your Tamper on this forum so I can have a look at it and show the Italians. I can then get confirmation of what tamper they are actually shipping with the machine. The tamper they tell me has been shipping for months fits really well and you wouldn't want it any tighter.

Cuprajake

#3: Post by Cuprajake »

hey,

force tamper doesnt fit, i had one,

the stock tamper is ok, but alot of people move to the ims comp baskets and get a larger tamper to fit, like the bravo tamper.

in terms of the shot, weigh the first couple of times then you will begin to see the pressure on the group gauge and weight are pretty well fixed, 8 bar on the group is approx 30-34g and 7 is about 40g in cup, after 7 the pressure drops quickly

cyclezib

#4: Post by cyclezib »

I recently sent a basket for measurement from my Nurri to Jeremy at Escherlabs. He makes great palm tampers and distribution tools. He customizes the fit. Now that he has worked with several LSM baskets, he is good to go in being able to supply tampers and distribution tools for our LSM machines. https://escherlabs.co/products/55mm-cus ... ution-tool

espressotime

#5: Post by espressotime »

I' ve used a regular tamper that fitted perfectly.They are out there.
Joe Frex 55 mm worked perfect.

macaber8 (original poster)

#6: Post by macaber8 (original poster) »

Cuprajake wrote:hey,

force tamper doesnt fit, i had one,

the stock tamper is ok, but alot of people move to the ims comp baskets and get a larger tamper to fit, like the bravo tamper.

in terms of the shot, weigh the first couple of times then you will begin to see the pressure on the group gauge and weight are pretty well fixed, 8 bar on the group is approx 30-34g and 7 is about 40g in cup, after 7 the pressure drops quickly

video
Thank you! I thought there is a button to stop the shoot like E61 machine. I will just push my cup away. Can't believe I didnt think of that.

macaber8 (original poster)

#7: Post by macaber8 (original poster) »

DaveC wrote:I am on the ACS stand apparently the tamper they provide as a standard fits perfectly. We are having an Italian argument over which tamper you have.
I am holding a tamper which I believe it fits perfectly, they tell me they supply with the machine, but I'm thinking that they're actually supplying a different tamper which doesn't fit very well. Would you please post a photo of your Tamper on this forum so I can have a look at it and show the Italians. I can then get confirmation of what tamper they are actually shipping with the machine. The tamper they tell me has been shipping for months fits really well and you wouldn't want it any tighter.
I will bring the tamper and basket to office and measure it with a caliper or a bore gauge.

I customized a 54.7mm tamper for the IMS B662TH26M basket. It feels pretty loose. Sometimes, my puck is clearly on the angle so obviously that I can see.

I will upload the pictures tomorrow.

NelisB

#8: Post by NelisB »

The bravo tamper is available with a 54.9 base. That fits perfectly.

NelisB

#9: Post by NelisB »

The walls of IMS are not straight all the way down, this is halfway.

espressotime

#10: Post by espressotime replying to NelisB »

That's why my 55 mm Joe frex was a perfect fit .