About to pull the trigger on a new Olympia Cremina

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Gpinch1

#1: Post by Gpinch1 »

Having read a bunch (but not everything) about the problems with the piston when the 2002 model came out.
Has this been all resolved now?

In North America there seems to only be 2 retailers of Olympia :
-Quality Coffee in BC, Canada
-Cerini, NY

I live in Canada but have a relative in the U.S. so it does not matter where I purchase.
The current exchange rate for Canadian currency is around 32% so this is a really bad time to buy.

Are there any other sources to purchase a NEW Olympia in North America.

redbone

#2: Post by redbone replying to Gpinch1 »

I'd be reluctant to buy a 4K machine based solely on its historical prowess if there was any question about it's current quality and functionality.
What are you looking for in a machine. Lever, HX or DB because there are decent other options out there.
If Lever, Bezzera Strega, Quick Mill Achillie Manual, Londinium L1, Salvatore spring lever or Bosco come to mind.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Eastsideloco

#3: Post by Eastsideloco »

Gpinch1 wrote:Are there any other sources to purchase a NEW Olympia in North America.
No. Those are the only retailers. (I didn't even know about Quality Coffee in BC.)

I haven't noticed any user complaints about the piston on the new Cremina models. You've probably seen these threads related to the new models:

Olympia Cremina Review

New Olympia Cremina 2011 from Olympia Express

Katoci

#4: Post by Katoci »

Gpinch1 wrote:Having read a bunch (but not everything) about the problems with the piston when the 2002 model came out.

In North America there seems to only be 2 retailers of Olympia :
-Quality Coffee in BC, Canada
-Cerini, NY

I live in Canada but have a relative in the U.S. so it does not matter where I purchase.
The current exchange rate for Canadian currency is around 32% so this is a really bad time to buy.

Are there any other sources to purchase a NEW Olympia in North America.
Never heard anything about piston problem with the new version of the Cremina (neither with the old one)

redbone: "If Lever, Bezzera Strega, Quick Mill Achillie Manual, Londinium L1, Salvatore spring lever or Bosco come to mind." - those are all spring levers. Some of them has pump next to the lever too. Not the same thing as a direct lever like the Cremina, and they all need a lot more counter space. The cremina is so tiny, it looks almost like a toy compared to those monsters. Not better or worse, just different.

forbeskm

#5: Post by forbeskm »

I have had great experience with parts from Cerini for my 84 Cremina.

New, I am a vintage restorer, so I'd buy an old one on fee bay or craigs :). Though I would love to have a shiny new one to unbox and pull espresso from.

Richard

#6: Post by Richard »

Gpinch1 wrote:Having read a bunch (but not everything) about the problems with the piston when the 2002 model came out.
Yes, years ago they reverted to the prior design.
-- Richard

nuanced

#7: Post by nuanced »

some unsolicited advice ; if you have the counter space, before buying the CREMINA for close to 4k , read up on the pluses of less expensive > L1 and STREGA ; more consistent extractions , plumbing options , very easy/fast resale if want something different , larger water capacity , parts that many parts distributers stock , top of the line new/updated engineering and of course better temp. stability and 58mm PF 's /

Katoci

#8: Post by Katoci replying to nuanced »

Better temp stability if you pull multiple shots, also it has a pump (more parts to break down), no possibility to correct shots on the fly, it's a Spring driven - no pressure profiling and so on. The Strega is a good espresso machine but you are comparing pears to apples. The only common in those machines is the lever. The direct competitive of the Cremina is the Strietman, but it lacks steam (the Cremina not a great steamer either), or the Pavoni.

Patagent

#9: Post by Patagent replying to Katoci »

+1 on Cremina not being a great steamer out of the box. However, there are some aftermarket options that fix this shortcoming.

Double Shot

#10: Post by Double Shot »

I have a 1980 model Cremina and think it's great. I would recommend looking at buying a used model as they are totally rebuildable/repairable and you should be able to pick up a good unit for around $1000 - $1500, although like a previous poster mentioned, it would be cool to open a brand new Cremina and be the first owner. I have to say, I find it hard to see $4000 worth of value in a new Cremina.
LMWDP #480.