49mm Dosing Cup for Pre Millennium La Pavoni and Niche Zero?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
scrane

#1: Post by scrane »

Doe anyone have an idea for a dosing cup to use with my 49mm La Pavoni and my incoming Niche Zero. I have a funnel I can use, but would prefer a neater solution. Thanks.

LObin

#2: Post by LObin »

I also have a NZ along with a pre-millenium Europiccola.

I haven't seen any 49mm dosing cup.

There are a few options though...

1. Get a 3D printed dosing cup.

2. Get a 3D printed portafilter holder and grind directly in the PF using a funnel.

3. If you're funnel has a wide opening, it's pretty easy to use the NZ cup and transfer into the 49mm portafilter.
That's what I do. It's clean and efficient.

4. You can hold and grind directly into the portafilter using a funnel.

I haven't considered a 49mm dosing cup since I believe it will be rather messy with the opening being much smaller than the 58mm NZ cup. Unless it was much taller.

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mgwolf »

Easy solution: just get a 49 mm funnel to put on the basket, then you can dump the coffee directly from the Niche dosing cup into the funnel. Not messy at all. I use the one from Orphan Espresso

https://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-IPANE ... _2540.html

Chrikelnel
Supporter

#4: Post by Chrikelnel »

It's an expensive solution but the weber tumbler fits 49mm, I've been thinking of trying one myself.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mgwolf »

One big advantage of a funnel is that you can WDT easily with the funnel on the basket without coffee getting everywhere.

MASONMAN
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by MASONMAN »

For a very inexpensive yet effective funnel, I use this 49mm camera lens hood:

Fotasy Metal 49mm Lens Hood, 49mm Lens Hood for Canon Fuji Leica Leitz Nikon Olympus Panasonic Pentax Sony Lens, 49mm Screw-in Lens Hood https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031CPCXO/re ... UTF8&psc=1

scrane (original poster)

#7: Post by scrane (original poster) »

Thanks for all the ideas. I guess working with a 49mm funnel is the way to go.
(or maybe upgrade to the Lelit Elizabeth?)

erik82

#8: Post by erik82 »

Chrikelnel wrote:It's an expensive solution but the weber tumbler fits 49mm, I've been thinking of trying one myself.
Only the tumbler fits indeed but not the much better blind shaker. And the tumbler has pretty thick edges for the 49mm insert. I use the OE Ipanema 49mm funnel as the blind shaker fits perfectly on top of that. The top of the Ipanema seems to be a very nice 58mm. Been using this setup for over 4 years and works perfect.

LObin

#9: Post by LObin »

scrane wrote:Thanks for all the ideas. I guess working with a 49mm funnel is the way to go.
(or maybe upgrade to the Lelit Elizabeth?)
Would it really be an upgrade...

Once you got the group temperature management settled, La Pavoni levers are nothing short of magical. Some people never get there and others do very quickly.

With the small mods I made to my 78 gen 2, I can pull shots that are just as good (sometimes even better) than shots from the same beans pulled on my Londinium and Robot.
LMWDP #592

scrane (original poster)

#10: Post by scrane (original poster) replying to LObin »

Being on the lever forum, I'd have to agree... but
I've been pulling shots with my dual heater LP for about 5 years, and I'm getting lazy and looking for something new. It seems the little Elizabeth has the versatility and steam I need in a one button format. :)