49 mm basket comparison - Page 7

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Eastsideloco

#61: Post by Eastsideloco »

It's going to depend a lot on your coffee, right?

Pulling shots with the SO coffees I brew with, I routinely fit 17 or 18 grams into the OEM Olympia basket, which means I could fit 19 or 20 into the Elektra. In order to make that work, I do need to use a dosing funnel and tap the PF on a mat a couple times to settle the grounds. But I like the syrupy shots I get updosing in this fashion.

On the rare occasions that I have a coffee with a more traditional espresso roast, I might be limited to 14 to 16 grams in the Olympia basket. The basket didn't change; my routine didn't change. The roast profile changed. And the difference in dose volume is significant.

grog

#62: Post by grog »

I was thinking the same thing. When I am running Victrola's Streamline Espresso or Olympia's Big Truck Espresso, I dose 15g in the Elektra double. With a Kuma SO - which are always on the light end of the roast spectrum - I dose 17g. Workflow is identical with any of those coffees but the dose varies quite a bit.
LMWDP #514

dergitarrist (original poster)

#63: Post by dergitarrist (original poster) »

I don't take personal pride in the look of my pucks, so no offense taken. But to explain, I knocked them into a knockbox that I then emptied into the trash a day later when I realised how different they looked and dug them out again to take this picture. ;)

The process of getting 20 g into the basket is described in my previous post and looks pretty much identical to the pictures Eastsideloco has just posted. Neither puck touched the shower screen, both had more than 8 mm (the thickness of my tampers base) of headroom when I locked them in.
LMWDP #324

IMAWriter

#64: Post by IMAWriter replying to dergitarrist »

I tap down as the basket is filling. I have a makeshift funnel (too cheap to get an OE small funnel...haha). ^0 grams, with a 156 # tamp leaves me about 4mm clearance to the group screen, which is a brand new OEM one (without the dead spot circle) I purchased from Stefano Espresso Care. IU could easily "fit" 17.5 grams in, but would get the expanded puck all over the group screen. No fun, and generally lousy coffee. I found this to be true of the Caravel as well. Space required. However, I found the exact opposite to be true with my Caravel 1.0.

EDIT...haha, 15# tamp, not 156#!! 16 grams in.

jonr

#65: Post by jonr »

If anyone wants a range to consider for best dose, one way is to look at equivalent puck depths people have used in 58mm baskets. For example, 20g in a 58mm basket is about the same depth as 14.3g in a 49mm (multiply by .71). Adjust the water volume in the same way.

Using this method, 17 grams in a 49mm is equivalent to 24 grams in a 58mm - unusually high.