3rd gen La Pavoni Pro bad bayonet.

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Kaffee Bitte

#1: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

I have been swapping steam arms between my machines basically only using the Stradivari arm since it is more adjustable. Ish. It's becoming annoying though and before I just buy a second Stradivari wand I thought why not just try bending the 3rd gen bayonet.
I have not done so yet. Is it feasible for me to do so and have it remain useable?
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

I have routinely shaped bayonets, going very slowly to avoid creating a crimp. I support both sides of the bend with my hands. I've read that some people put fine sand inside the tube to avoid crimping, but the few times I've done it, I just improvised without that.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Kaffee Bitte (original poster)

#3: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Thanks! I had read about the sand, but wasn't looking forward to cleaning it out after.
I think I will closely watch some more videos and give it a try. Worse comes to worse I will replace with a new Stradivari wand.
What I want is the steam tip to be about ten degrees from straight down like my Stradivari wand at rest. This makes adjusting the angle possible for the several different pitchers I use, compared to the preset angle of the 3rd gen which has zero play. Sometimes I can manage to make the angle work but it's annoyingly miss, miss, miss, hit.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Something else that might help is to use a round item, like a rolling pin or something of smaller diameter as a bending template while going very gradually to avoid a crimp.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Kaffee Bitte (original poster)

#5: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

I finally did bend my wand last night. Wish I had done so when I bought it. Ha ha. It was pretty easy with slow steady pressure. And it now has similar angle making ability to my Stradivari. No more swapping wands! And no crimps despite bending on the second bend. This mornings cappa was made with only the wand hissing and not me as well.

The only remaining thing I would readily mod is the steam wand. IF there were a more articulated version out there.
I am just so used to having a commercial wand at work with 1.5 bar steam that never ends. The agile arms are so nice when switching between milk and alt-milks which behave differently. I have grown used to the lower power of the LP and the low adjustability too.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110