'22 La Pavoni Europiccola unusable out of the box - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Jonk

#11: Post by Jonk »

Sure, if you're handy with tools you could for example use a dremel like this guy: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5336394 (second picture)

And the top of the burr is less crucial than the fine grinding bottom, so yes it's not unreasonable that you might be able to make your own spikes. Worst case there are at least spares available from several sources. Here's another one: https://www.helor.com/product-category/ ... omponents/

Kaffee Bitte

#12: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

My stock double baskets are too snug a fit for my 51.5mm tamper to give consistent results. They are also too loose a fit for my 51mm tamper I bought 15 years ago. Generally loose has more workarounds than the stuck to puck. I got by fine with 51mm for 13 years with the stock baskets. IMS though 51.6 should always fit just right. 51.5 is almost right but not quite.

Now that you got me down this path I may end up getting a custom 51.3 and 51.4 just to see if I could find the happy tamper size.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

lassepavoni (original poster)

#13: Post by lassepavoni (original poster) »

Obviously I'm not the first one to have this idea. The angle grinder is a little coarse, of course, but the dremel did the trick with a cutting wheel for the burrs and a ball nose endmill for the click plate.

Turned out not all that tidy, since I operated freehanded with only a vice, but it does the ''click'' :lol: .
I went all-in and tried to make some staggered indents. This way I ended up not with one additional full click in the middle, where both of the retention ball bearings would engage, but with two additional half clicks where only one ball locks in. They're not exactly evenly distributed, but that should be fine for my use case.

I put the grinder back together and verified the new clickiness, but I have yet to do the real test.

Kaffee Bitte wrote:Now that you got me down this path I may end up getting a custom 51.3 and 51.4 just to see if I could find the happy tamper size.
Well... sorry for that, I guess :mrgreen: . Why don't you get some IMS baskets for your 51.5?
Regards,
Lasse

Kaffee Bitte

#14: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

Lol. No worries. I was already down that rabbit hole

I have multiple ims sizes and use them, but sometimes I just like a coffee better out of the stock filter that I generally leave the stock baskets in. Using the 51mm always has me thinking of a better fitting tamper. At least since I got the 51.5.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

drgary
Team HB

#15: Post by drgary »

Lasse, welcome to H-B!

I agree with Lynn's suggestion to be patient while you learn to use your La Pavoni, which looks like it is usable out of the box despite the topic title and has an included tamper with a tight fit unless the basket is very full. There are many posts here about using a Europiccola. BTW, a new 2022 unit cannot be "pre-millennium." :wink: For many years now, people refer to first, second and third generation La Pavoni home levers, categorized by Francesco Ceccarelli according to three successive brew group designs. His site gives the comprehensive history. His site hasn't enabled https, so your browser may call it "unsafe," but it's worth a good read.

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapavoni_eng.htm

You are using a dark roast, and your machine will heat to the point you may get bitter shots. If not already doing so, you might try some medium roast or lighter coffees. Heat management on these is a learned skill, and many of us attach a temperature strip or thermometer on the outside of the group. The temperature instability on these converts to an ability to temperature surf for different roast levels as you acquire skill. Enjoy the journey!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#16: Post by lassepavoni (original poster) »

Hi Gary, thanks for your Welcome! Of course you're right that it is a ''post''-millennium model, my bad. On the other hand I could easily pretend that this was deliberately formulated a little tongue-in-cheek :wink: .
I am familiar with Francesco's site already, as well as I have read a lot of posts in this Forum. Enough to pique my interest and get myself a machine, but certainly not enough to know it all. I will be patient and enjoy the ride, that's for sure.
You're also right that the machine as such is perfectly usable. Like I said, this is just a rant about me not being happy with my first experience. Still, I would consider that too-narrow basket a minor production defect, and not just a quirk that I have to get used to. The supplied tamper doesn't get stuck in the single basket under any circumstances, which is what I would consider perfectly normal instead.

Regarding the dark roast and bitter shots, I'm probably on the right track already. I have yet to pull a shot that I would call bitter. Most of the time it's quite the opposite and the shots are much too sour for my liking, sometimes so much so that I can't even finish drinking 'em. Half pumps to preheat the group head and a thorough flush to preheat portafilter and cup are mandatory. Up to now I only do one or two consecutive shots, so I didn't experience any long-term temperature problems as the machine won't be switched on for longer than half an hour each time. The lighter roasts I tried certainly didn't help in this regard. There may be a great tasting light roast out there, but I won't go chasing unicorns for now :lol:
Regards,
Lasse

#17: Post by lassepavoni (original poster) »

Gotta report back on the grinder mod.
The additional spikes turned out not to be all that useful. Of course I didn't set up a proper comparison before-and-after, but it surely doesn't feel as if the grind is any faster now. There might be some room for further improvements though, as my slots are only as wide as the cutting wheel is. I might try and enlarge them a little more.
The additional clicks are totally worth it, though. I am currently 1/3 finer than the full click I used before, and that setting is much better! Another full click finer has been too much already, as the grind time roughly quadrupled and with too firm a tamp there would be hardly any espresso in the cup.

So, yeah, I still like my little manual grinder and think it is the perfect companion for the Europiccola. Now even more than before 8) .
Regards,
Lasse