1991 La Pavoni Europiccola thermal fuse removal

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
heinz9

#1: Post by heinz9 »

Hello, I bought my Europiccola back in 1991 or 92. I used it for a few years then it was stored away for many years. At any rate, I took it apart about 10 years ago because it stopped working. I recently put a multimeter to the thermal fuse and there is no continuity from terminal to terminal.
How do I get the old fuse? It does not want to budge.

Fullsack

#2: Post by Fullsack »

If you really think there is no way to get it out, (you can try visegrips or channel locks, but you might break it to pieces), why not just leave it in, remove the spade lugs, attach them to a new thermofuse, and secure that new fuse to another location? Some people even leave the fuses unsecured, but I'm not sure that is a good idea.

https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... ostat-127c
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
heinz9 (original poster)

#3: Post by heinz9 (original poster) »

Thanks for the quick response. I ordered the part from the site you suggested. Till the part arrives, I've bypassed the fuse so I can use it. OMG, I'm retiring my moka express pot. I forgot how good this machine is at making great espressos, cappuccinos, and latte's. I absolutely fell in love with it all over again. I didn't have much trouble remembering how to use it. It was like riding a bike. Thanks again.

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Heinz, are you going to take care of the rust under the base? That can get away from you because the later La Pavoni bases are made of plain steel. Have you identified where the steam or water is coming from to produce the rust? I've heard the best rust paint for that is POR15.

Back to installing your new thermal fuse. The whole point is for its bottom to be in contact with the heating element plate so it shuts off immediately if temperature exceeds the target range. That can easily happen if the pressurestat gets clogged with scale and doesn't open the circuit at its Off setting. Since the thermal fuse had shut down, you might want to do a descale of 50/50 white vinegar to water, powering up and then off a few times. The vinegar solution will dissolve mineral scale in the pressurestat without recrystallizing deposits. You would then rinse thoroughly to make sure that the taste is all gone.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Fullsack

#5: Post by Fullsack »

In some of the older Pavonis, the fuse is just a wire with that doesn't attach to the heating element base.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WYcAAOSw ... s-l640.jpg

It was always my understanding, the fuse is for an electrical overload, not for excessive heat.

NOTE: I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE ELECTRICAL OVERLOAD. SEE OldNuc's POST, THE FOLLOWING ONE, FOR THE CORRECT ANSWER.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

OldNuc

#6: Post by OldNuc »

What you pictured is a thermal one time fuse. If it is not in close contact with the base then it is an area high temp fuse. The device in the heating element well is a high temperature bimetallic button the will open once the element is completely out of the water. More or less all of them are designed to prevent setting the house on fire. Once and a while it all comes together and they also prevent the destruction of the heating element.

heinz9 (original poster)

#7: Post by heinz9 (original poster) »

Thanks for all the advice here. It made the job much easier to do when the new parts arrived. Here's some pics of my "new" Europiccola.